Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Holy Crap...! never knew one existed...?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Highlander:
Original line up and first LP, iirc...

gearHed289:
He played bass on the first two, then for Head First he went to the front man position with Ricky Philips (now with Styx) on bass, and J Cain (Journey) came in on keys.

uwe:
I must have been missing that ...

Am I the only one who thinks that if Don Henley ever left the Eagles again in one of his usual self-righteous fits, that they could parachute John W right in - both vocally and visually? No one would notice the difference and he'd make loads of money.  :mrgreen:

Highlander:
Dead man's shoes...

I'm wondering how many mainstream bands that have fully replaced there crew...? I can think of several... :-\

Alanko:
Ronnie Lane had a Zemaitis back in the day. He got it once the Small Faces were done. I wonder if this is down to the increased income he undoubtedly received once 'The Faces' were out from under the thumb of Don Arden, who basically kept them on schoolboy paper-round wages throughout their career?

my favorite Zemaitis player (everybody has one, right?) is Pete Cruickshank of The Groundhogs.

You can just about see it here:

Quite an interesting band, who fused a fairly authentic delta blues with a weird mix of Cold War-era paranoia and spacey fuzz. I'm trying to get into their DIY-recorded album 'Solid' at the moment, and it is very dense and experimental. I've seen a parallel made between the Groundhogs and Gang Of Four, which I think is fair enough, really.

Anyway, I'm also slowly trying to piece together a bootleg called 'Solid Live' which pulls together everything the Groundhogs recorded for the BBC in 1974. Unlike the actual 'Solid' album, the bass is quite pronounced and distinct on the BBC recording. Pete Cruikshank is using his Zemaitis bass and it has a really broad, twangy and punchy tone. Quite a modern tone for 1974, with a good balance and growl.

You can hear it here:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version