Author Topic: B15S  (Read 2635 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
B15S
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Having owned an SVT,  V-4B and B 25B in the past I have always loved Ampeg tube amps.  I currently have several SS ampegs in my quiver and I briefly owned a b15 in the early 80's but stupidly sold it because it was "only" 30 watts..   As a result of the insanely priced reiisue of the b15 i have had a yearning....  Result I found a B15S at a music store in brooklyn i used to frequent 20+ years ago.  Has a few issues but i just love the tone.  Black switches - i would guess mid 70's.  The S is supposed to be 60/138 watts.  8/4/2 ohm switch which is something i really like/wanted so i can add some cabs and bring her out once in a while.  Prior owner changed the tubes to 5881,  not sure how much that matters but i am sure you guys will answer that for me..  Cab has a broken latch (ordered one from fliptops already)  and some notes below A cause a rumble at any decent volume. Not sure yet how to attack that...

But the head is a beast.  I can not believe how loud it is.  If my memory is correct (but that is questionable)  it appears louder than my B25B was and is very close in volume and tone to my V4B.  With 2 cabs and volume about 9 oclock it feels louder than most of my SS amps ( 300 watts at least)   at 12 oclock.  I know it is not apples to apples with the newer amps having a gain and volume but it just cranks.  It weighs over 100 pounds with the current square magnet speaker.  If i upgrade it may be unmanageable.....but

a few weeks ago i also got an aftermarket b15N off feebay from somebody that bought it but didn't use it.  I am pretty sure it is a fliptops product.  

Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

eb2

• View Profile
Re: B15S
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Cool amp.  Ampegs are in my top 5.  I have two of the earlier Bassamps, and owned a couple of B-15s over the years.  My current B-15 is actually the BT-15, which is the first SS rig.  It sound fantastic.  Good luck with the low end farty.  I am not sure why it is sounding bad.

Seeing as you scored it in NY, I have to ask: around how much?
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
$650 cash as a "favor" to a long tim customer..  he had it listed at $799 originally
JIM

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
Very cool! I don't know what they sound like, but an Eminence neo 15 would lighten the load a bit.

I'm a big Ampeg fanboy. It's all I've used for the past 23 years. 14 with my trusty SVT III Pro. I have a '74 SVT head and later 70s 810 (still Magnavox). I also have a '74 V-4B head and a 410 I built to the exact specs of 1/2 an SVT cab, loaded with 70s SVT speakers. I'm actually going to sell the V-4B and probably the 410. Too much stuff I don't use....

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
The S is supposed to be 60/138 watts.
It is. It gets the extra power from having a solid state rectifier.

8/4/2 ohm switch which is something i really like/wanted so i can add some cabs and bring her out once in a while.  Prior owner changed the tubes to 5881,

If you're getting plenty of volume and good tone, don't worry about it. Very few techs actually set up old tube amps to put out rated power because their perceived volume is generally what people are looking for. True 5881's will reduce output power somewhat, but if they're Sovtek, that may not be the case as the tube they market as a "5881" isn't and is much tougher than the real thing.

and some notes below A cause a rumble at any decent volume. Not sure yet how to attack that...

Those are the electrolytic caps literally rattling. Old caps can still hold value but dry out to the point where they'll physically vibrate internally and pass AC surges at the vibration frequency. I've seen it in tons of B-15's. 

It weighs over 100 pounds with the current square magnet speaker.  If i upgrade it may be unmanageable

That's a CTS, and they get a bad rap undeservedly. Leave the stock speaker in the amp. Experiment with the new cab.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
they are Sovtek tubes....

i guess i will replace the caps eventually.  I will try the head on the 15N and see if it still rattles first of course. 

Love the sound of this head.  i miss my Svt and V4B but don't miss picking them up....
JIM