Author Topic: Mutant aircraft.  (Read 747 times)

Blazer

Mutant aircraft.
« on: April 23, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »
Okay then, it's no surprise that new technology is constantly evolving and none more than in aviation. It's also no surprise that to save costs of building aircraft to accommodate the latest of the latest, companies resolve to customizing older aircraft to try the new stuff out, saving themselves and the government millions.

But it does make for some very unusual looking aircraft, some of them even looking mutated. With bulges and blisters on their otherwise smooth metal fuselages and wings.

The British Aerospace Nimrod Maritime patrol aircraft was based on the famous De Havilland DH-106 Comet Airliner, so when the airborne warning version of the Nimrod was being developed, the people at British Aerospace aviation deemed that it made perfect sense to use a surplus Comet Airframe to test out the elaborate radar equipment on.

This North American "Sabreliner" private Jet was used to test out F16 avionics and they were stored in an actual F16 nose.

This Douglas DC3 Dakota of the Canadian Airforce was used to test out avionics meant for the Canadian built version of the Lockheed F104 Starfighter, again, they just bolted a nose from a Starfighter to the aircraft.

I guess the name on the fuselage says enough.

But by far the strangest was this modified Convair C 131 cargo plane that was used to test out flight simulator technology IN FLIGHT. (Go figure) and so they just jammed the entire cockpit section into the nose of that plane.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Mutant aircraft.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 04:35:28 PM »
That Nimrod mod was a disaster for BAE - talk about turkey...  :puke:

Can't give this the time it deserves now, so back soon...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:07:05 AM »
I love the Pinocchio name on that plane:)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:46:55 AM »
I like the "Flying Guppy"

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:11:16 PM »
I like the "Flying Guppy"

The Guppy, the current one, is based about 8 miles from my house.  See it flying about from time to time.  The new one is bigger than than the old one.