Author Topic: Free Downloads at Amazon  (Read 1952 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Free Downloads at Amazon
« on: April 13, 2009, 11:48:15 AM »
Their doing a free DownLoad MP3 special today

They have Mushroom Men from Les Claypool and a bunch of Indie bands I never heard of.

http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Deals/b/ref=amb_link_83825711_15?ie=UTF8&node=678551011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YV2FXVFQCKE62Q4R5V8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=473631011&pf_rd_i=163856011

I discovered Fleet Foxes (included here) from a freedownload disc.

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Free Downloads at Amazon
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:03:24 AM »
Search any album you want with the word "blogspot" and see what happens.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:26:15 AM »
Search any album you want with the word "blogspot" and see what happens.

:mrgreen:

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
Those are Illeagal downloads ?

I really try not to do that if they are. I would rather pay for them than stealing from the artist. I would not want Lars coming to my house with the police.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of illegal or questionable downloads out there, but there are also tons of blogs with obscure, deleted, or never released indy stuff that can be a blast to explore. I'm such a completist that even if I do find something to download I'll buy a physical copy if I like it and ever run across one that's available. There's so much out there from the 70's and 80's that never even made it to corporate/wide release, let alone CD. I love running across some regional glam or indy band from the 80's that I never heard of.

I know Lars would not approve, but he can insert his tennis racket anywhere he chooses for all I care.  ;D

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 01:44:25 PM »
I remember buying a CD of some old record and you could hear the record noise on it, pops crackle and even a small skip.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »
I would not want Lars coming to my house with the police.

Lars alone is enough to deter me  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 03:27:28 PM »
I've used the blogs to download long out of print and otherwise unavailable records, also some compilation albums made up from old singles.

I'm not going to judge anyone else for downloading.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 04:06:55 PM »
It's not Lars you have to worry about (after-all, he's only about 2' 6", give or take a few), but he has some BIG BUDDIES...

and George, how irReverant of you...  :mrgreen:

Gotta admit I have horrific completist tendencies, too - highly dangerous to the wallet... found a lot of good freebies, too... you just gotta search...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 06:31:27 PM »
It is legally a very gray and hard - if not impossible - area to control at this point.  The blogs tend to be housed in legal entities outside of the US, and the issue seems to be the concept of someone in essence saying "I keep my CDs here."  You can listen to them.  You can play them.  But if you burn a CD copy you are doing something of legal questionability, not the person who lists it.  So there.  But, when I ran across the Sgt Pepper multi tracks, I got them.  And as mentioned earlier, loads of unavailable stuff is out there.  The record companies really are more concerned with Miley Cyrus copies.  They are not into Bloodwyn Pig at The Filmore West, or The Jeff Beck Group Live in Miami playing The Beverly Hillbillies Theme in 1968. 

And yes, those two are out there.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »
You know what's gonna rock this fall? The Beatles on Rock Band. There's stuff all over Youtube of people playing with the multi tracks on Rock Band. I'm amazed that they're going to release The Beatles that way.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
I'm not innocent when it comes to this issue but as someone who has earned royalties I live by one rule. Yes get hold of the music to hear it, But if you like it and want to keep it then buy it. The whole Donny Osmond live doing Stairway to heaven thing is in no way related to this because as sure as hell he doesn't own the rights to that recording and the person who came by the original live recording did so by dubious means anyway. So no ripping off the artist issues there either.

Just my 2c
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 09:59:37 PM »
I was recently talking to the son and daughter-in-law of a late artist whose songs appear on a fairly popular compilation from a well-known German label. They hold the publishing rights to his songs yet they were completely unaware that the compilation even existed. Makes you wonder how legitimate some of these reissues really are.

Audio can be extracted from YouTube with minimal effort. The digital cat was out of the bag long ago.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 04:32:52 AM »
Agreed, but I like to support the artists I listen to, if I can. I paid for the "pay what you like" RadioHead CD.

Nine Inch Nails gives their music away.I guess the money is in the touring now.