Author Topic: Why am I the only guy on earth who liked (and still likes) these guys?  (Read 3772 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWx_oOQeJgU&feature=related

And why didn't you yanks promote them to stadium superstardom like you did with Foghat for Chrissakes?!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
I remember seeing them, Uwe, as support. They were quite good.

The horrible reality is that the vast majority of musicians just don't make it, and many (unlike those Brits, Foghat - Savoy Brown, by any other name, "What a shame" that Rod Price and Lonesome Dave P have left us) just fall by the wayside...

Mick Underwood was a local gent to me, like his band-mate Mr McCoy, in a later, more popular beat combo...

How about Stray...? Del Bromham wrote a host of hooks and they released some remarkably good LP's, but they just never made it into the top flight - there was a period of time during the late 70's when Pye was really pushing them and it seemed like they were supporting just about everyone... still got all their LP's on vinyl...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I know, you probably saw them with the Ian Gillan Band, you lucky bastard! I thought their mix of glam, early Roxy Music edginess, brutish riffs and Ross Stagg's nasal non-singer-voice brilliant, but the punk deluge washed them away. Though with a proper haircut ... they certainly had the attitude and bands like The Stranglers and The Police were old hippies too.

Highlander

• View Profile
 :mrgreen:

I kept my long hair, blue jeans and ROCK t's right thru the P*NK era...

One of you lot are gonna tell me you saw the original Alice Cooper Group, then I'll know how hacked off Uwe is about me seeing IGB and Strapps...

I only saw the #2 DP on the first reform trip, but I did get to see, and enjoy, #4...

I deeply regret missing PAL... love "Malice..."
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

As in 1973 Billion Dollar babies tour?

Yes I did, Mr Cooper did have some direct influence in helping me be the nice girl that I am  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
I saw the dancning Tequilla bottle tour - maybe 1978?  It was OK but I would have killed to see the 73 tour - of course I was just an inocent lad of 11 in 1973 ;)

The Baby's opened for Alice on that tour - talk about a poor mix :o  Just about like Angel opening for Ted Nugent :o

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
I saw the Alice tour in '78 here in Oz. Also talk about a bat fit. That same year I saw the Stage tour by Bowie and The (Australian) Angels (Angel City to our US cousins) did the support. Bass player copped a full can of opened beer direct hit on his right hand. My ol' band did the support for DP Mk II the reunion here in Adelaide.(um, what was that, about '84?)

And as it happens, (I'm spending the 4 days of Easter cleaning out my shed) I was working away while playing my Malice in Wonderland LP by Paice Ashton Lord just yesterday Ken.
Digresion our specialty!

lowend1

• View Profile
And why didn't you yanks promote them to stadium superstardom like you did with Foghat for Chrissakes?!!!

Ummmm... because Foghat were a great band, especially live. They were the perfect stadium band for the mid 1970s. Sorta like Status Quo with personality (sorry, Uwe)
It surprises me that I've NEVER heard of these guys, but at first blush they don't sound like anything even remotely special. The songs remind me of the stuff you'd hear from "the rock band" in a 70s made-for-TV movie. I could live without the cheesy synths... Mellotron, isn't it? Seriously, there are hundreds of these bands that recorded back then and went nowhere. Angel. Legs Diamond. Piper, Starz, Shooting Star, Moxy, Goddo, Detective - and those were the ones who should have gone farther (IMHO, o'course).
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• View Profile
Mark...  (sobbing sounds...) :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:

Seriously envious... The BDB tour only played 1 gig in the UK - Glasgow, Scotland... First Cooper tour I saw was WTMN - '75;  last time was "the nightmare returns" - never digged the "Hollywood" trip and now there can never be a full re-union...

Brett - yep, the #2 reunion tour was '84... PAL - get the CD, with most of the extras you can't get elsewhere...  :mrgreen:

Lowend - Never bothered with Quo but would have loved to have seen Foghat in their heyday... and lets not forget the likes of Saga, or even Styx when it comes to extra strong cheddar...   ;D

lowend1

• View Profile
1977 - Passaic, NJ
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• View Profile
Re: Why am I the only guy on earth who liked (and still likes) these guys?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 04:28:37 PM »
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........

I'm still reeling from Mark's post... That's the problem with being a fan of USofA music and living the wrong side of the pond...

Okay, so who saw Mountain with Felix (I already know Terr' saw Cream, the 1st time round), I only got to see them supporting DP in '84...

And GFR - never saw them - I only know of 2 gigs they played in the UK '71 and '74 and I discovered them in '75 when I bought American Band...

Or even more deranging - Duane and Berry...  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Kapitän...! Depth Charges...! (cue Klaus Doldinger)

ps
I did see the Who with Moon and Skynyrd, twice...  :mrgreen:

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 04:59:57 AM »
Strapps, pretty rare to find a band with no Wikipedia entry, or not in English anyway.

Anyway, I understand where Uwe's coming from now.

http://www.bandtoband.com/index.php?Page=Search&BandId=2451

3rd box down, right hand column - Create Map.  Put any band name in the lower box and enter.

The path between Strapps and Deep Purple contains 2 steps:
The path between Deep Purple and Foghat contains 3 steps:

Not a big difference, but enough. :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 05:12:57 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave hasn't yet commented. That of course is his most damning approach to things. Not even taking notice. Though I'm sure he would have something to say ("stadium rock", "limey metric system users", "gay marriage advocates". "Che Guevera pic on fridge keepers").

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 06:52:33 AM »
You have time to watch every video posted here?

I had never heard of them. When a band is compared to Foghat, I figure it's something I just won't care for. I did just listen to about 40 seconds of plodding organ intro, that was enough for me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 07:13:12 AM »
Oh man, you could have at least waited for the crescendo one minute into "Down to you". That is majestic.