Author Topic: How not to act on stage  (Read 6739 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: How not to act on stage
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 04:45:12 PM »
Keith Moon was cool. And a great drummer. In a legendary band

This guy is a dork. Who doesn't know how to proportion the chops he learned. Playing in a mediocre Top 100 band.

Mediocre? If these two numbers are any indication, you're being charitable.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 04:32:25 AM »
I've heard The Who bootlegs that sound a lot worse than what this cover band did.

Yes, he's hilarious and OTT, but I'm sure also the main reason why the audience was watching this band at all. A little excess is nice.

And as for Keith Moon: He was a character and a star, also a troubled soul and I actually liked his drumming, but three things he was not: a technically adept (in comparison to many of his peers), solid or tasteful drummer. May I quote JAE: "Do I miss Keith Moon?! I miss him everyday as a person! Not as a drummer. It was difficult with his style to hold the rhythm down live, I'm much tighter with Kenny."

Now of course JAE might not have had a better idea of what was good for The Who (in my opion, Keith was, they were much more boring after his death) than I or anyone of you. But Keith Moon was evidence that you can be OTT on your instrument, defy convention and do the same lengthy 16th-based drum fill/tom run live over and over (at varying speeds!  :mrgreen: ), yet still contribute to the greatness of a band. However, saying that he was the member of a tight rhythm section, a nuanced player, intricate technician and "less is more"-groover is misrepresenting him. That is like saying Vincent Price cultivated sparse method acting.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 06:02:43 AM »
but three things he was not: a technically adept (in comparison to many of his peers), solid or tasteful drummer.

Not as technically adept as who; Ringo?  He was as technically skilled as most of his contemporaries (many who could not keep up if they tried). Moon was solid, just not constant; there is a difference.  Tasteful is highly subjective (and <> reserved FYI - I know you like mostly straight forward drumming; surprised you're a fan of Moon at all), so all I will say is that there's a pretty big consensus that he was not cringeworthy, like this dude here. Sure he was far from perfect - not playing a song the same twice (his rep as well as a bit of exaggeration) is not helpful, but that is allowed with other instruments.

Moon and this guy = apples and oranges.  And not just due to the weapon of choice.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 07:46:12 AM »
I have always loved Ringo! He is a great drummer alone for what he came up with in Come Together! And he had a more musical groove than Moonie who tended to be a bit on the frantic side.

Enough of my defenses for that nameless overplaying colleague. There are better bassists out there and quite some who can say more with less. But he was at least entertaining to watch. And there is no rule in the book that disallows just bass players from overplaying when everyone else is happy to do it occasionally.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 07:49:39 AM »
the who may seem boring after moon's death because their best stuff was behind them, way behind them. as for his alleged technique it worked with the who, but would probably not cut it in many other bands.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 10:06:48 AM »
I'd prefer a Keith Moon to a Phil Rudd in my band anytime, because Moonie's spluttering approach had humor and surprise (think about it: when was the last time when Phil Rudd surprised you, murder assignements not being eligible?). Of course, in today's music, drummers are not meant/allowed to surprise. I'm not knocking ole Moonie. He just didn't match standard criteria of a drummer. Neither did JAE for a bassist. But with Townshend playing de facto only rhythm guitar and Daltrey being a very disciplined singer, it worked.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 11:36:39 AM »

Enough of my defenses for that nameless overplaying colleague. There are better bassists out there and quite some who can say more with less. But he was at least entertaining to watch. And there is no rule in the book that disallows just bass players from overplaying when everyone else is happy to do it occasionally.

If someone had jumped on stage with a board and smacked this guy upside the head with it, that would have been entertaining.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »
You violent Americans. "Smacking people over the head", tsk, tsk, tsk ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 01:27:20 PM »
Back on topic;
Why is that dork in the video constantly whipping his spagetti wet hair to the left and to the right?
Is it possible he might think that looks cool on him? Is he shaking his head in disbelief? Or has he been studying Mick Jagger's stage antics?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 05:20:13 AM »
Rob, he's entitled to shake his head - and other body parts - as much, as long and where he wants to as long as he doesn't bore me!  :P :P :P

Boredom is the most vicious of crimes.

That sounds like an Oscar Wilde quote!!!  :mrgreen:

I think I'd enjoy playing with this guy in one band. Double lead bassists, we'd feed off each other (I say this in a most innocent context) and our styles are radically different so the audience would always know who is who, he could do all the slapping. We'd get a singer, drummer and - what is that other instrument called again? -, ah, yes, guitarist to back us.  8)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 05:25:59 AM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 06:15:22 AM »
You can have him Uwe. He's all yours.
I'm pretty sure none of us here would object.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 07:05:54 AM »
Wishbone Bas(s)h would be my dream come true - all those parallel harmony thirds in my head have to go somewhere!  :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2015, 01:02:19 PM »
I think I read on another board that the band is from Brazil. And Uwe has heard that getting a Brazilian is exciting. He just doesn't know what the hot wax is for.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
I think the guy dancing on the stage needs assless chaps.  That would provide some comic relief.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2015, 02:55:20 PM »
Hot Wax...? Record label, wasn't it...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...