Author Topic: How not to act on stage  (Read 6739 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: How not to act on stage
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 02:23:11 PM »
Dissenting opinion:

1. He is fun to watch.

2. Enjoys what he is doing.

3. Plays with zest.

4. Has more ideas in one song than most bass players have in a lifetime, declaring their lack of ideas as "holding down the groove" and "playing what the song calls for". Yawn ...  :bored:

5. Sign me (and Mark) up as the solitary fans of his in this snakepit of po-faced criticism.

6. I'd love to see him play something like this, he'd be more at home with it and probably go even more bezerk!!!  :mrgreen:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
Fun to watch?  You have to be kidding.  The word is painful.  PAINFUL.  Seriously, he almost falls over after most of those twirls.  His main groove is a dance that was popular with uncordinated teeny boppers (rigidly defined in this case to mean the girls only) in the 80s and championed by the likes of Wham! In the words of Sarah J Parker "stop it; you're middle aged [men]!"  The last person to bring it back was Carleton from Fresh Prince in the 90s, and that was as a joke.

Sure, he does a lot, but does he do it well? Or tastefully? The playing and the moves both. I know you love to have the dissenting opinion around here, but this is indefensible self-unawareness.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 05:29:21 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 05:38:05 PM »
A certain former bandmate of mine would have literally dragged this guy off the stage by the second song.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 01:29:14 AM »
I saw another video with the same guy a while back, probably on YT. It´s embarrassing. This guy is more coke´d up than Diego Maradona, nothing fun about that!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 03:39:31 AM »

4. Has more ideas in one song than most bass players have in a lifetime, declaring their lack of ideas as "holding down the groove" and "playing what the song calls for". Yawn ...  :bored:

Putting them all into one song is not a good idea Uwe. And you know it.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »
A certain former bandmate of mine would have literally dragged this guy off the stage by the second song.

+1
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 09:59:43 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »
Hey nothing screams CCR like some scooped-mids-cranked-treble-slapping sprinkled with haphazard shredder runs and George Michael dance moves  :)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 01:36:01 PM »
Hey nothing screams CCR like some scooped-mids-cranked-treble-slapping sprinkled with haphazard shredder runs and George Michael dance moves  :)

...while standing in front of the singer.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 03:05:38 PM »

More like he was trying to get away from George Michael in a public restroom.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 03:53:04 PM »
I dunno; he strikes me as probably into it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
Reminds me of the moves of a lnebacker when someone put liniment in his jock strap.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 06:41:27 AM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 07:30:52 AM »
Pah, he's probably underchallenged, granted, but I don't deny him enthusiasm. You're allowed to be OTT at a live gig, dozens of guitar heroes build a career on that with no one complaining, now a bassist does it and everybody is up in arms, my dear staunchly conservative - "as a bassist you are not supposed to do this and that"  :-X - brethren!!! If Keith Moon does the same thing on drums, everyone here is in ecstasy about his perceived brilliance.

I like black sheep.

It's views like yours that keep bass players subjugated in the background!  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:37:55 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 08:08:51 AM »
Keith Moon was cool. And a great drummer. In a legendary band

This guy is a dork. Who doesn't know how to proportion the chops he learned. Playing in a mediocre Top 100 band.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 01:44:13 PM »
Pah, he's probably underchallenged, granted, but I don't deny him enthusiasm. You're allowed to be OTT at a live gig, dozens of guitar heroes build a career on that with no one complaining, now a bassist does it and everybody is up in arms, my dear staunchly conservative - "as a bassist you are not supposed to do this and that"  :-X - brethren!!! If Keith Moon does the same thing on drums, everyone here is in ecstasy about his perceived brilliance.

1.  Keith Moon was awesome, never awkward and cringe-inducing to watch.  As a lawyer I do not expect you to understand the concept of shame, much less so empathetic shame.  :P

2.  I gave an example above of how a frontman I played a gig with was similarly horrible to watch, so there goes your conservative bassist theory. Its not OK for any band member to act this way.  I mean this not in a dogmatic legalistic way, but rather that if you do this (or similar), you will be mocked, and you deserve it. 

But yes, if you tollerate this, your children will be next.... or to put that idea in the words of a cheesy North American anti-drug PSA from the era of my youth turned popular internet meme:  "You alright [Dad]; I learnt it from watching you!"

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:53:53 PM by Granny Gremlin »