Author Topic: Clean, Clean, Clean! Gibson Triumph on Ebay - $1550 BIN  (Read 3079 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Clean, Clean, Clean! Gibson Triumph on Ebay - $1550 BIN
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
If I didn't have a clean one already, I'd be on it, that's a good price IMHO.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:01:10 AM »
I just saw it on there. Looks nice and a great price too!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:06:56 AM »
Yeah it is a good price.  And there has been a long stretch where there weren't any up for auction - so the ones that are coming up now seem to get a lot of action.  

The last BIN on a walnut Triumph with a bit of wear went for $2500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160255614207&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

...and a minty white one went for $3K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320262048580&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:03:33 AM »
Yeah, I don't get those $2k plus prices.  I can't complain, I bought mine for a cool $1500 from a dealer, all original and excellent condition.  I guess mine will go up in value too!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 12:27:19 PM »
Yeah, I don't get those $2k plus prices.

Probably due to pent-up demand, or just folks who don't want to wait around for one.  I was nosing around on the buyer for that $2500 Triumph, and IIRC they had also bought a Vox Constellation for around that same price.  That's another bass I'd love to get my hands on someday- but not at $2500!!  :o

Hey- nobody has BIN'd the Triumph yet!  How come that never happens when I'm looking for something?!?!  ;D

Tyrellp34

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 12:46:27 PM »
wow, that's a fair price in my opinion.

Haven't seen a Triumph with that bridge before though. My Triumph has a 3 point brigde and that was also applied on my previous Triumph, never seen this type of brigde on prictures either.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
They only used that 2-point bridge on the Triumph from '71-72, and probably early '73, and then went to the 3-point after that.  These earlier ones didn't have the neck volute either.

I don't know if the saddles on this one are original or not - they look to be metal.  I don't think Gibson ever used metal for the saddles on that bridge, but I could be wrong.  That and the speed knobs are pretty insignificant mods though.  Overall it looks to be a nice, unmolested specimen - not always the case with these!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 01:20:12 PM by chromium »

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 02:21:02 PM »
mine has the metal saddles on the two point bridge (no tilt  :toast: ) and it's a '71 I'm pretty sure.

but that one in the auction is sweet!

Tyrellp34

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 02:57:42 PM »
They only used that 2-point bridge on the Triumph from '71-72, and probably early '73, and then went to the 3-point after that.  These earlier ones didn't have the neck volute either.

That's interesting , my first Triumph had a neck without the volute (yes, it was broken, clued, broken, clued, broken and clued again) and it had the 3 point bridge. Unfortunatly I can not remember when it was manufactured , can't remember the serial number either.

The Triumph I have today has both the 3 point brigde and the voltute on the neck.  Serial number is 14XXXX (can't remember the four last digits) so based on what you say about the bridge and the volute I guess that indicates it manufactured sometimes between late 73-75?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »
Mine's got a 2 pointer.  Works fine.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »
mine has the metal saddles on the two point

If found this on Jules' site:

"Most versions had the nylon saddles pictured here, though around late 71, early 72 some of these bridges were equipped with chrome plated metal saddles."

So those are indeed stock saddles.

I was always kinda put off by the plastic saddles before I had a bass with them, but they actually work fine - my EB-0 and EB-3 both have them.

That's interesting , my first Triumph had a neck without the volute (yes, it was broken, clued, broken, clued, broken and clued again) and it had the 3 point bridge. Unfortunatly I can not remember when it was manufactured , can't remember the serial number either.

The Triumph I have today has both the 3 point brigde and the voltute on the neck.  Serial number is 14XXXX (can't remember the four last digits) so based on what you say about the bridge and the volute I guess that indicates it manufactured sometimes between late 73-75?

Best guess is that it might be a '74, based on the info here:  http://www.gibsonbass.com/serial.php

Dating them by S/N is kind of difficult, since the numbers were not always issued consistently.  Dating by parts (bridge type, etc..) isn't always accurate either, since there are occasional exceptions to the rules popping up.

I see that the bass sold, BTW!  Anybody here get it?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:33:59 PM by chromium »

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 04:24:55 PM »
If I did'nt already have mine which I bought for 1800$ I'd been all over that one. Such great basses-

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 05:28:55 PM »
Sa-weet? Anyone here get it? Good price! $1550

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies