Author Topic: Gibson Announces New Leadership Team  (Read 10758 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:30:36 AM by lowend1 »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Announces New Leadership Team
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 02:18:25 PM »
Company press releases are always optimistic, aren't they? But after reading Curleigh's comments in the Nashville Post article, I'm optimistic too. https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/manufacturing/article/21028533/levis-leader-picked-to-be-gibson-ceo

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »

It does sound good - A nice change at last!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:56:52 PM »
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 07:13:20 AM »
I just hope they take someone on who  reads discussion groups like this one and try to engage with their customer base.  I'm a member of the UK Basschat (and a casual browser of Talkbass), it's a great thing when manufacturers chip in - Tech 21 regularly post to Basschat.

Thing is, until they actually listen to what people want, they're always going to fail eventually.  I know full well they have a business to run, but do they honestly need to flood an already saturated market with thousands of rebooted Les Paul models year in, year out?  Probably not.  I might actually be a good thing if they ceased production for a couple of years...it worked in the 1960s.

Ultimately (and I use the collective 'we' here, despite not currently owning a Gibson in any guise), what do we, as bassists, actually want from Gibson, because I have a significant wedge of money just burning a hole in my pocket.  In recent years, we've gone from a period where nobody wanted a Thunderbird to a point where every Tom, Dick and Harry is playing one (which was largely why I bailed and started buying Lulls).  In my gigging years I've never played with anyone (either as support or headliner) that's used any other Gibson model; not a single EB or SG-Bass variant.  Add to this that pretty much every bass other than their core range seems to have either been short lived or abject failure.

The future I come from no longer exists.

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
I'll be honest, hearing a Levi's exec is in charge actually sounds promising. Levi's is one of the few brands I'm actually somewhat loyal to. Funny enough, there's actually a decent parallel between the two, as both Gibson and Levi's draw on their heritage products for their current product line. Levi's Vintage Clothing line makes some excellent reissues of their old clothes, they really know how to go through their archives and accurately reproduce items. They also seem to be pretty good at introducing new products while maintaining the integrity of their core line, instead of going whole hog on some hair-brained idea and ditching the things everybody loves. And that's what I want to see with Gibson: a core, stable primary product line with little alteration (maybe some, even Levi's occasionally updates fits to best suit current trends), while still trying out some new ideas (ones that make sense) and maintaining the integrity of their heritage.

Edit: I see JC actually mentions my point in the second article.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:18:42 PM »
A pair of Levi's Vintage 501s sells on their site for $285, and they are imported. While they may mirror Gibson in that their legacy products are ridiculously overpriced, at least Gibson makes the product in the US - for now, anyway... :rolleyes:
https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/levis-vintage-clothing/levis-vintage-clothing-for-men/c/levi_clothing_men_vintage_clothing_us?ab=collectionsLP_LVC_shopmen_082119

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »
I just hope they take someone on who  reads discussion groups like this one and try to engage with their customer base.  I'm a member of the UK Basschat (and a casual browser of Talkbass), it's a great thing when manufacturers chip in - Tech 21 regularly post to Basschat.

Thing is, until they actually listen to what people want, they're always going to fail eventually.  I know full well they have a business to run, but do they honestly need to flood an already saturated market with thousands of rebooted Les Paul models year in, year out?  Probably not.  I might actually be a good thing if they ceased production for a couple of years...it worked in the 1960s.

Ultimately (and I use the collective 'we' here, despite not currently owning a Gibson in any guise), what do we, as bassists, actually want from Gibson, because I have a significant wedge of money just burning a hole in my pocket.  In recent years, we've gone from a period where nobody wanted a Thunderbird to a point where every Tom, Dick and Harry is playing one (which was largely why I bailed and started buying Lulls).  In my gigging years I've never played with anyone (either as support or headliner) that's used any other Gibson model; not a single EB or SG-Bass variant.  Add to this that pretty much every bass other than their core range seems to have either been short lived or abject failure.

Gibson's musical instruments business is profitable now despite Henry. No reason to think it will fail. If you think new Les Pauls and SGs aren't still very much in demand, you're not looking in the right places. I'm a member at MyLesPaul forums; between the complaints about Gibson you'll see lots of enthusiasm for new ones. And that's not even the largest Gibson-oriented forum.

I don't doubt that the TBird has been Gibson's best seller but I haven't seen one gigged here for years (and that one was in a band from out of state) but I do see EB/SG basses. You can't draw conclusions from one local scene.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »
A pair of Levi's Vintage 501s sells on their site for $285, and they are imported. While they may mirror Gibson in that their legacy products are ridiculously overpriced, at least Gibson makes the product in the US - for now, anyway... :rolleyes:
https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/levis-vintage-clothing/levis-vintage-clothing-for-men/c/levi_clothing_men_vintage_clothing_us?ab=collectionsLP_LVC_shopmen_082119

Levi Strauss moved manufacturing overseas a couple of decades ago, long before Mr. Curleigh joined the company. You can't be a big player in the clothing industry otherwise.

Gibson moved its lower priced line overseas almost 50 years ago. They just didn't label them Gibsons. The American-made guitar is an icon, there's no chance that new management will destroy that even if they decide to label some imports with the Gibson brand.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 01:59:14 AM »
I think this is very positive and I also saw the parallels between Levi's and Gibson.

And how appropriate it is that The Savior's initials are JC? Like Dutch soccer legend Johan Cruijff and that bloke who features in the second part of the bible.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 07:57:33 AM »
Levi's lost my business at least ten years ago when leans that were still rather new would have the belt loops break in the wash. Since then I have only used Union Line jeans from All USA Clothing. They are much more durable and do not cost any more than Levi's at JC Penny.

https://allusaclothing.com/mens/bottoms/union-line-25305-denim-jeans-usa-made.html

I don't see myself buying a new Gibson bass anytime soon as I already have too many.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 08:00:16 AM »
I do love my Levi's 527 jeans.  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »
I buy Levis 559 jeans used on Ebay for $20 or less.  Don't really care where they're made.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 05:42:41 PM »
Levi's lost my business at least ten years ago when leans that were still rather new would have the belt loops break in the wash

I like Levi's, fit wise, but quality, IME, has suffered of late. I bought a pair of 541s last year that started to tear at the at the rear pocket within a couple of months. To their credit, Levi's does have a 2-year warranty on their products, under which they have replaced two pairs of the above jeans (the first replacement started to tear in the same spot in around the same time frame). The last time around, I had them send me a pair that were not prewashed, and so far, so good.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 06:15:31 PM »
Levi's lost my business at least ten years ago when leans that were still rather new would have the belt loops break in the wash. Since then I have only used Union Line jeans from All USA Clothing. They are much more durable and do not cost any more than Levi's at JC Penny.

https://allusaclothing.com/mens/bottoms/union-line-25305-denim-jeans-usa-made.html

I don't see myself buying a new Gibson bass anytime soon as I already have too many.

Too many basses? I didn't know that was possible!

If Levis are $50 then I can see buying $50 American-made jeans as an alternative. But I buy regular fit Wranglers, $17 at Target and Walmart. I wear each pair about once a week and they last a couple of years. No complaints.