Author Topic: He sounded like an old Chrysler 300 starting up on a winter day  (Read 3306 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: He sounded like an old Chrysler 300 starting up on a winter day
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 08:52:33 AM »
The best luck I have with recording bass is to put the player in the room with his amp for a few

minutes to get his sound. Then I mic his amp...put him in an iso closet, and mic his strings with a

condenser mic to get the acoustic attack. Putt the mic on the strings, right at the pickup end of the

fretboard. Blend a LITTLE of this in with the direct / cabinet sound.

I do believe that is what he said Bret

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »
  I think his point was that the bassist's overall "perceived sound" includes those subtle artifacts (that extra zing coming from the string noise, etc..), and by blending that in he can recreate that perceived sound once the bassist is done tracking and back in the control room.

Almost like the aim is to satisfy the bass player enough so he can mix in a good sound....

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »
the violent femmes like the zing and other natural sounds that are a result of playing acoustic instruments. they keep all those sounds audible.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
That's one of the characteristics of OVER-engineering: removing the noises that come with real life.  It's a symptom of what makes so much music suck.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 02:21:31 PM »

I do believe that is what he said Bret

Yep you are right mate, I stand corrected. I guess I read through it a little to quickly.  :)
Digresion our specialty!