Author Topic: New Epiphone Newport Bass.  (Read 5726 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: New Epiphone Newport Bass.
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2023, 09:55:23 AM »
Maybe you can use the pics you put on TB?

EDIT: apparently you can ;-)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2023, 10:32:15 AM »
Anyone who knows where to get hold of the kind of knobs that are used on the new Epiphone basses, as the Newport? Or, for that matter, the same knobs as where used on the 60´s Epiphone Batwings?

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2023, 04:37:01 PM »
    To access my old photo bucket account they want $.  Dave are there any photo hosting apps other than photo bucket?

I use Imgur.com
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2023, 11:19:47 PM »
    To access my old photo bucket account they want $.  Dave are there any photo hosting apps other than photo bucket?

I second what lowend1 says: imgur.com -- it's free and better than Photobucket ever was.

Random gif from my account  ;D

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2023, 11:35:18 PM »
That cat is the winner.  Hilarious  ;D
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2023, 06:35:18 AM »
I always liked Lee van Cleef better than Eastwood in that movie - he was the ultimate gentleman villain. There was something pleasantly nasty about him.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2023, 11:11:27 AM »
Anyone who can stare down Klaus Kinski must be a badass.

Klaus was a real character. I didn't realize he was such a nutjob in real life too until recently.

Maybe this is how Uwe has so much success in the court? He just summons up the demeanor of Kinski and scares the jury shitless.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2023, 02:50:54 PM »
No juries in Germany, we did away with that around already the time of the Kaiser, who - with some archaic idiosyncrasies - was generally a man of the modern age.

Klaus otoh was brilliant and difficult. He wrote great, albeit disturbing poems. There is no more a tragic and emotional depiction of a vampire than his in Herzog's Nosferatu remake. In one scene he makes a great case for the inability to die being the severest of all imaginable punishments.

Other than as a joke meme for his legendary outbursts (amusing as they are, they show someone who by today's standards would be qualified as mentally ill and in need of therapy; for all his intimidation he never got physically violent at the sets though), he has been pretty much cancelled out of German cinema history discussion. Having a love/sex relationship with your own daughter for 15 years kinda does that to you. Not Nastassja; Pola, the older one, they had different moms. Though he is supposed to have made approaches with Nastassja too.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:33:05 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2023, 05:39:58 PM »
Van Cleef was such a lovely villain, I really dug him in his various roles. With his Dutch roots, I always wondered whether there weren't traces of Polynesian DNA in him, he had that look.

And good humor.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:49:20 PM by uwe »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2023, 07:35:11 AM »
Yeah, I stumbled on all that stuff you brought up about Klaus too. It's unfortunate and disappointing to learn of. People can stop discussing him all they want but it can't change the fact he did some amazing work.
The Great Silence is another all time great spaghetti western. If we ignore everything produced by folks who've done bad stuff, there wouldn't be much to enjoy.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2023, 09:17:28 AM »
Everyone here knows where I lean politically, but the cancelling thing has gotten badly out of hand. It's perfectly ok to also discuss the dark sides of people and incidents, but to strike them off the historic register is wrong and ignorant. Unfortunately, the Right has now learned from the Left and does the same thing. People seem to be unable to be confronted with more than one view - preferably their own - anymore. Terrible. And it creates the danger that you actually start to believe that everyone thinks like you and become genuinely surprised/irrational when you meet someone who doesn't. That's why I continue to read a conservative daily - not to agree with what they write all or even most of the time, but to understand what they think and why they think that way. I try to avoid echo chambers.

Not speaking about things doesn't make them go away or has them "unhappen" in history. We should be that far by now.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2023, 09:13:58 AM »
People love to complain about "cancel culture", but a lot of it is just good old fashioned boycotting. If I can do something to keep my money out of the pockets of assholes, I'm going to do it. But yeah, some folks are getting very carried away with wanting to erase people and things that they don't like. Stating the obvious here, but I blame most of it on social media. Never before have we been subjected to EVERYONE'S opinion on everything 24/7. I do feel that things should be discussed, but there's something to the old "don't talk about politics or religion at a party." Social media started out fun, but has devolved into a genuine mess. If I weren't a working musician, I'd probably leave it. For now, I just unfollow people.  ;) My 2 cents...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2023, 12:44:50 PM »
Yes, cancel culture, boycotting and sanctions are all fruits from the same poison tree. Roger Waters doesn't want people to do trade with Israel and some people now want promoters and concert halls to terminate contracts with him to deny him a forum. It goes on and on and on - and in the end we all best just stay at our barricaded homes and not mingle with each other, the danger that you might run across someone who doesn't mirror all your views is just too high. It's an archaic form of tribalism.

And I agree, some aspects of social media bring out the worst in people. The loudest voice indeed.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2023, 04:35:26 AM »
 I've installed the imgur app on my phone lets see if this works.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2023, 06:06:22 AM »

And I agree, some aspects of social media bring out the worst in people. The loudest voice indeed.

What bothers me the most is that seemingly everybody is being totally polarized. If I read up on a certain matter I often find the truth landing in the middle. That means if I was to speak on the matter I get shit thrown from both sides. Takes the term quiet diplomacy to a new higher level.