Author Topic: RIP Johnny Winter  (Read 2420 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
RIP Johnny Winter
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:09:19 AM »
Looks like Johnny Winter has joined the great gig in the sky too....

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/r-i-p-johnny-winter-blues-legend-dead-at-70/

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: RIP Johnny Winter
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:24:23 AM »
A sad day.  He's always been one of my favorite blues artists.  He endured a lot.  RIP
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 05:30:09 AM »
Oh my.  :sad: :sad: :sad:  I wore this album out at the time.

For some reason, I always thought of him as the Yank counterpart to Rory Gallagher (though Rory was much more his own songwriter, they shared this gritty attack in their singing and playing).  Hopefully happy together now those two then (no idea whether they ever met on those endless US tours).

His health hadn't been well for the longest time (if ever), but it's sad to see him go. Something to lighten up  with ...

I have only recently boosted my Johnny Winter collection with those two here, time to give them an extended listen.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:47:43 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:27:41 AM »
RIP, Johnny.

His first Columbia album wasn't well received but I thought it was a gem. Also the Johnny Winter And... studio album was one of my favorites.

He was in frail health for so long. A friend's band opened for him here about 20 years ago and he was in terrible shape back then.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »
Wasn't there this thing about his old manager keeping him under the wrong medication in a constantly sedated, vegetable-style state?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:25:32 AM »
That's sad. Johnny and Edgar were one of the opening acts at my first rock concert, followed by BOC, then KISS. My buddy's dad was his bass player WAY back when.

RIP

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
he certainly wasn't produce when he was playing. but the evil manager part is probably true. :)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 11:13:38 AM »
Wasn't there this thing about his old manager keeping him under the wrong medication in a constantly sedated, vegetable-style state?

He went through a few bad managers.  When he was back on the junk in the '90s(?), it was attributed to a manager who kept him using to cover up how much money was being stolen from him.  Two friends of mine that are big fans got to meet him and had pictures taken with.  By all accounts, Winter was a courteous man, and invited them into the trailer to sit and talk.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:20:32 AM »

RIP Johnny.

I am very glad to have seen you play - even if it was only once quite a long time ago.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »
Yeah, that trailer!  :mrgreen: He even took it to Europe and lived there in US time during the tours.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 06:21:24 PM »
pretty much wore out his first three or four Columbia albums during high school.  Randy Hobbs was one of my favorites...RIP

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 04:01:43 AM »
Saw him many times and always enjoyed the show. RIP Johnny :sad:
Rick

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 05:46:26 AM »
One of my favorite guitarists ever. Saw him live in '89 but used to watch him on Krishner's rock concert starting in the early 70's. R.I.P. Johnny.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 07:08:59 AM »
I can confirm that he was very courteous and in awful health - had been for many years. I'm surprised he lasted this long. I did a few opening spots for Johnny Winter back in the late 90's/early 2000's and he was pretty much blind back then. Due to that condition and the fact that he couldn't stray more than a foot away from his mic stand, he had an arrangement with his bassist that he'd cue a four-count to kick off all the songs and then the bassist would cue an additional four-count to the drummer - then the whole band would kick in. Very odd to watch but it worked and he could play like a demon - right up to the end.

"Saints and Sinner"s was my go-to Johnny Winter album back in the day. I'll miss him as I'm sure many of the musicians here in O-town who knew him will as well.

RIP
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »
the first blues album I owned was by this man, he for me was the introduction to one of the most powerful musical influences in my life. I have never been as saddened by the death of a celebrity as I feel right now. Farewell Johnny, this planet will never see your like again