Author Topic: Meet the new saw  (Read 5772 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Meet the new saw
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:10:52 AM »
 Here is the new saw for the shop, I have a 12" bandsaw out in the carriage house shop, bought of craig's list for 50 bucks. it's not bad but i wanted something nicer for the basement shop, i started looking at 10" table top models but i came home with this ! http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=59964-70-28-276&detail=&lpage=none   Great for resawing and cutting out body blanks !
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:16:16 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: Meet the new saw
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:28:28 AM »
nice scott
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:45:01 AM »
'Meet the new saw, same as the old saw' Pete Townshend already sang...

There was something going on about Blazer posting too much guitar pics in this bass forum, but I guess it even worse to post about new machinery.

But okay, you started this so you can get it! Here's my coffee maker!

:mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:52:34 AM »
Chris, I'm trying to figure out how your coffeemaker is involved in repair or building. Doesn't look like it saws wood... do you put powdered aninline dye in the filter basket and brew tinted finishes?  :P ;)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:32:10 AM »
Of course I was kidding;)

But really: I can't do nothing without no coffee machine. (I still love Americans and their double and triple negations) I need it to post here, I need it to play bass. So this coffee machine is very important:)

Coffee is my only addiction. Well, the only I admit;)

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:44:59 PM »
Nice Saw Scott,

I don't see anything wrong with getting a little excited about shop machinery, I've got a Delt jointer from the same series ( also from Lowes ) comes in pretty handy.

Chris,

Ummm, well, uh, nice coffee maker......does it make a really nice cup of coffee, what's its' capacity? 8-10 cups? I mean it looks really nice and everything but Scotts' saw ( or my jointer for that matter ) would win in any "appliance" war! Although I doubt either one of us wants coffee spilled on our.................................................................

Scott ( BassVI )

There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 07:15:29 PM »
I inherited my dad's 1954 Shopsmith Mark V a few years ago.  It still works like a charm, and I can order any piece for it from Shopsmith.  A while back I picked up a bandsaw for it off Ebay - it had been in the same garage as a small fire and needed some cleanup, but works fine.

When you need a bandsaw, there's nothing as good as one!  They are great tools.

With the Shopsmith, I have a nice table saw, drill press and disc sander.  It's also a lathe and horizontal boring machine before you add on accessories, but I don't normally use those functions.  This is NOT a new saw - it's a very old saw that has never become outdated.  Mine doesn't have the blade guard on it because in 1954 such things hadn't been thought of.  I value my fingers and am careful to keep them out of the way.

Here's the interesting thing - I have the original receipt for the Shopsmith, bought at Carr Hardware in Ames Iowa in 1954 for $276 with the optional casters.  The same setup today retails new for $3000.  Go figure.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:11:46 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »
I've got a mix of Jet and Delta stationary tools. When it comes to handheld power tools, I've got one or more of just about everything except Festool and Crapsman.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »
Very nice Scott. I've got along list of stuff I want before I retire. that's a nice saw for sure!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
That's like the bandsaw we have at our shop. Had it for 20 years and still going strong.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »
I have the Jet version of the same design - which they ripped off from Delta.  Both companies make a riser block kit that increases your resaw capibility by 6" ( and who wouldn't like to have an extra 6" :P) - last I looked the kit was about $50.

There's a great book called The Bandsaw Book that I picked up years ago that really helped me get my saw dialed in - it was well worth the money.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
Calling it a ripoff is a bit harsh considering that Delta's design was a copy of a Walker-Turner.  8)  Jet did start out 30 years ago making Delta clones but the models today aren't the same. I have a newer (2003) Jet 14" and it's a lot sturdier and more accurate than my old Delta. The newer Deltas are much improved too.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 05:30:54 PM »
My understanding, FWIW, coming from several folks in the bidness, was that a bunch of Delta engineers broke away and formed or went to Jet - I could very easily be wrong but a lot of Jets early stuff is a close match to the then current Delta models.  I have a 10" contractor tablesaw and the 14" open stand band saw - both of which I have really run hard without a complaint ;D  10 years ago, when I bought these, you could save well over a $100 to go with Jet - not so the case now. :sad:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 12:18:19 AM »
That's not what happened. Delta was still owned by Rockwell back then (late 70s), and Jet had no engineers at all. They were strictly an importer. They just took US-made machines and had them copied in Taiwan.

Times certainly have changed. Pentair bought Delta and Porter Cable in the early 80s, then sold them to Black & Decker/DeWalt about 5 years ago. Meanwhile, Jet bought Powermatic, Performax and Wilton, then got bought out by a Swiss holding company (WMH Tool Group). And would you believe that most of the woodworking machinery lines of both parent companies are now made in the same Chinese factory? The factory is GeeTech -- look at their customers at the bottom of this page: http://www.geetech.com.tw/sp.html

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 09:30:17 PM »
Well, they have to build something in the prison factories  ;D ;D  Might as well be power tools.

If you really start looking at the large power tools it's not hard to see that they have many similar components and assembly methods.

I'm not too surprised at the Jet thing though - assbackards engineering strikes again!