Author Topic: Coronado Bass - almost finished!  (Read 16840 times)

ZezozeceGlutz

• View Profile
Re: Coronado Bass - another winter project
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »
Those Wildwood tops always remind me of the Merry Pranksters' paint-dipping method seen here.

Check it out here (.pdf). Be sure to see the flow chart on page 6.

Save the cauliflower!

I must say that it's a bit long winded but their conclusions are valid if (hopefully) pretty obvious. Think "Leave no trace" meets endangered animal conservation. Don't destroy for the sake of destroying and if you must do genetic modification, try not to kill off the entire species. (think bananas)

The meticulous breakdown of moral considerations in the Brochure, though, remind me a lot of David Foster Wallace's article Consider the Lobster.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2008, 12:59:06 AM »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008, 06:03:20 AM »
OK, let's agree not to destroy things/plants/animals randomly, but I'll continue to eat plants and savor every bite.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Blazer

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
Ah, the Coronado, one of those "Right-guitar-by-the-wrong-brand" moments. In the mid sixties with the beat boom happening Fenders weren't really all that popular because of Bands like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones NOT playing them. (John Lennon once said that it was deliberate because they didn't want to be associated with instrumental bands like The Shadows and the Ventures) But Semi accoustic guitars like those from Gretsch, Epiphone and Gibson were must haves for beat groups.

So the high command of Fender decided to see if Fender could carve itself a niche in that market too and so they hired THIS guy....

..to help them get to it. Roger Rossmeisl was a German immigrant who previously had worked for Rickenbacker, designing the legendary 300 series guitars and 4000 series basses, including the 4001. An accomplished luthier, Rossmeisl was the man for the job in bringing a little more sophistication to Fender.

This is a Rossmeisl made guitar, evident are his signature shape F-holes which can also be found on Rickenbacker's Import series and on the Fender instruments he designed. Note also the R tailpiece, something we also found on Rickenbackers Rossmeisl designed.

The first Rossmeisl/Fender product was a nod to his Rickenbacker past.

The Thinline Telecaster, has that typical Rossmeisl shaped F-hole and the body was hollowed out in the same way as a Rickenbacker 360 guitar (or 4005 bass), routed from the back and having a backplate of matching wood covering it all up. This Rossmeisl made Fender is still being produced today, proving the most succesful of the Rossmeisl made Fenders.

But after this innitial succes Rossmeisl came up with some spectacular UN-Fender-like instruments.

Fender's acoustic range for example: they had bolt on necks and screwed on heavy plastic pickguards (can you imagine what wonder those features did for the sound charicaristics of an Accoustic guitar?)

Then came the Coronado range, which married Gretsch-style bodies and DeArmond pickups with Fender bolt-on necks, they were light and didn't sound that bad but nobody wants a semi accoustic with a bolt on neck. The Wildwood idea also didn't catch on because of the resulting pieces of wood either being hit or miss in the looks department, some guitars looked really spectacular whilst of others you could barely see the color.

But perhaps the worst Rossmeisl came up with was Fender's Archtop range.

The Fender Montego and the Fender LTD showed where Rossmeisl got it from, his German luthery and the Rickenbacker 360F, which shape it closely aped. But once again, a bolt on neck was the nail in the coffin, nobody wanted a Jazzguitar with a bolt on neck

What the people of Fender learned the hard way here was that when people wanted a Gibson, they'd BUY a Gibson. And as they also would learn later was that a chap called Jimi Hendrix would turn the tides for Fender's popularity, the Fender Stratocaster would once again be THE rock guitar.

But as for the Fenders made under Rossmeisl's guidance? Only the most Fender looking and sounding of them all survived: the Thinline Telecaster. Which is now also made under the Squier brandname and carries that typical Rossmeisl shape F-hole as a tribute to it's designer

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:27:05 PM by Blazer »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »
Wow, great history lesson! I often wondered what possessed Fender to try its hand at hollow electrics.  thanks!   I like unusual basses, war if they aren't a hit in the marketplace. that's why I bought the Mosrite too.  I love MIA vintage hallow bodies and the Coronado is so different I first want one again.   the neck and pups are due in tomorrow!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 06:51:44 AM »
OK, my inlay for the bridge logo piece is almost finished.  Just got a couple little holes to fill................

I've got all the parts I need for this baby once this is finished!  I'll be putting this one together soon!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 05:34:52 PM »
Finished my tail piece.  Cost:  ebony and inlay = $10.  It's even nicer than the plastic original!   ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2008, 06:02:36 PM »
Nice job on that inlay, and definitely classier than molded plastic.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 07:10:22 PM »
Nice job on that inlay, and definitely classier than molded plastic.

Thanks Dave.  It was fun to do as well.  I'm gonna try to polish/touch up the body and neck this weekend!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2008, 04:40:44 AM »
Nice stuff as always,Doc.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2008, 05:55:16 AM »
Great work Doc!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2008, 07:21:55 AM »
Thanks guys, can't wait to get this one finished!  It's coming together fast now.

FenderCoronado

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »
Greetings fellow Coronado nuts.  I'm the guy you've been talking about.  (Thanks for being nice).

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2008, 01:48:14 PM »
Greetings fellow Coronado nuts.  I'm the guy you've been talking about.  (Thanks for being nice).

Hey, no problem Darrel, welcome!  We have a lot of odd tendencies here, so Coronado fans are definitely at home.  Me, I'm just a hollow body freak for the most part, but I do have a few T-Birds to round things out.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2008, 04:04:02 PM »
Hey Darrel, long time no see.

Whatever happened to your Performer neck/Coronado body project?