Author Topic: Our house  (Read 3132 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Our house
« on: March 03, 2011, 05:33:36 PM »
Rather than hijack the Hague Rivoli thread, I'll put the picture of our 14th Century beam here.

The really old bit is the arch construction coming up through the floor and across behind the desk to the door, where it was terminated by a 17th century property developer putting in new stairs. That arch would have been supporting the roof of a large hall, and would have been one of several. None of the others have survived. You can see that later construction built a larger timber frame around the structure of the old hall. In the 19th C it was all plastered over and the ceiling beams boxed in, so they could have a new idea in decoration called wallpaper. It stayed like that till we took off the old, blown plaster, and then had to get an architectural historian in to tell us what we'd found.

PhilT

• View Profile
Re: Our house
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »
This is from the landing the other side of the door. It's the wattle & daub used to fill in between the timber frame. Not much of that left, a lot was filled in with brick.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 06:32:27 PM »
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. If those timbers could talk...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »
Facinating! Thank you for posting this.  I live in Central Florida where there are rocks and anything made of wood was eaten by termites or the inhabitants. :P

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »
Fascinating! I just love stuff like this, a pic of the exterior perhaps? What are the beams made of ? Elm ? Any drawings done as to what the structure may have looked like in the 14C ? The building uses over time?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:16:53 AM »
Most interesting! Agree with Mr Thunder above, give us more pictures, and what you've got about the house history! :o

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »
The real expert on this is my wife. She's the one who found it, realised it wasn't just more beams and found someone who could identify it.

It could have looked something like this originally. But in a town, not countryside and probably owned by a merchant. Over the years, the middle bay got split into separate plots and built out at the back. So we'd be the near part of the middle bay. Lots of bits were added on, and as you go away from the street, the building gets younger, till at the back it's victorian.

Outside isn't that interesting, too many later additions. I did take a some pictures out of the window before Christmas when it was snowing.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 03:42:07 PM »
Stunning! Fireplace?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 04:46:30 PM »
Wow! That's just the information I wanted! I love old homes, over here of course we have nothing that even comes close to that kind of age. I have never lived in a new structure at least by US standards. My folks had a beautiful landmark 1850's farm house. For 15 years we had a 1840's farm house that I spent all of those 15 years restoring. Our present house (we moved in '09) was built sometime in the mid 1800s, burned and rebuilt on the same foundation in 1910.  14 century oh the history it does boggle!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
That's the trouble with the colonies Phil, starving for a piece of history (heading for the bunker) ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »
That's the trouble with the colonies Phil, starving for a piece of history (heading for the bunker) ;D
True.......................................... I believe we took that piece from you lot   ;D

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
Yeah, and if you brits want some good timber we can fix you right up ;)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
Very cool place, Phil! Those beams remind me of the Viking ship remains periodically found!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 04:12:54 PM »
Stunning! Fireplace?

Sadly no. Long before we arrived most things like that were taken out. A lot of the stuff that survives was hidden behind plaster or panels. There were several hidden alcoves and cupboards we uncovered. Unfortunately none of them contained a lost Gainsborough or Constable.But if 14th C is boggling, it's fairly common round here to find Roman material when digging the garden.

The biggest problem though is when the Saxons come out of the pub.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 04:19:16 PM »
Yeah, and if you brits want some good timber we can fix you right up ;)

Hopefully not Gibson sourced... :o ;D

Phil, your' Norfolk-ish aren't you...? I'd be more interested in another (Danish) Viking horde...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...