Author Topic: The infamous 2-point bridge  (Read 6905 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
The infamous 2-point bridge
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:49:29 AM »
Y'all-
I have a 70s MIJ EB-3 copy that uses a knockoff of the 2-point. Like the original, this one is worn and is tilted upward at the end where the strings anchor, and has done so to the point where I can no longer make proper adjustments. Other than the Hipshot (which is really too expensive for this application), has anybody found a suitable mod, repair or replacement? Or, should I swallow my aesthetic pride and try to slap a "F" style unit on there? The problem is further compounded by the narrow neck width and string spacing, which, IMO is already too close to the edges - so my choices may be limited.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The infamous 2-point bridge
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:32:23 AM »
This mod sounds a little raw, but for a Jap Ho ...

Dismantle bridge, drill screw between studs into wood so you have a triangle "stud-screw-stud" (no, Mark, not what you are thinking, a geometrical, not a love triangle) pointing to the neck. Reassemble bridge, leave screw "out of the wood" enough so its head supports base of bridge and keeps it from tipping forward, you can even elevate it a little in the other direction. Drilling a hole into the bridge that gives you access to the screw head with a screw driver (but not large enough to actually swallow the head - I know how these three innocent and largely technical words I just used will raise a lively discussion here  :rolleyes: - in a self-defeating way) makes the bridge tilt adjustable even with the bridge mounted.

It's the tried and trusted principle of the Guild two point bridge where a knurled thumb screw mounted before the two studs did not additionally fasten the bridge, but only stabilized it from dreaded tilt.

Or do what I did on my EB-4: slip two coins underneath the edges of the bridge. Works and you always have a coin handy while playing bass!

Uwe

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 07:14:56 AM »
Wow, Uwe - that is way too simple and logical (smacks self in head). Yet another case of me trying to reinvent the wheel when all I have to do is fix the flat tire. Many thanks!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:20:40 AM »
This mod sounds a little raw, but for a Jap Ho ...

Dismantle bridge, drill screw between studs into wood so you have a triangle "stud-screw-stud" (no, Mark, not what you are thinking, a geometrical, not a love triangle) pointing to the neck. Reassemble bridge, leave screw "out of the wood" enough so its head supports base of bridge and keeps it from tipping forward, you can even elevate it a little in the other direction. Drilling a hole into the bridge that gives you access to the screw head with a screw driver (but not large enough to actually swallow the head - I know how these three innocent and largely technical words I just used will raise a lively discussion here  :rolleyes: - in a self-defeating way) makes the bridge tilt adjustable even with the bridge mounted.

It's the tried and trusted principle of the Guild two point bridge where a knurled thumb screw mounted before the two studs did not additionally fasten the bridge, but only stabilized it from dreaded tilt.

Or do what I did on my EB-4: slip two coins underneath the edges of the bridge. Works and you always have a coin handy while playing bass!

Uwe

this is so dirty......
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 07:50:19 AM »
this is so dirty......

I'm sure Uwe's choice of words is entirely innocent.  8)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:49:47 AM »
LOL.

Also the Hipshot is not a direct replacement for the 2 point - but only the 3 point. ... which, I guess, is somewhat moot in this case since it's a ho and stud spacing may not match the originals anyway.

I love the ghetto 2 to 3 point makeover.

Another option; a trapeze tailpeice (might be slightly more elegant, though not necessarily worth the additional cost for a ho).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:38:12 AM »

Dang it Uwe!

Here I am at work................I have harmful backpressure  :-[
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »
Dang it Uwe!

Here I am at work................I have harmful backpressure  :-[

Er, Mark - I'm not sure what veiled language you're speaking, but in automotive jargon,  backpressure is a term that is typically related to exhaust, not intake :o - specifically, how free flowing one's exhaust system is. Where does this leave us? I don't know, but it's probably nowhere we should be...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
LOL.

Also the Hipshot is not a direct replacement for the 2 point - but only the 3 point. ... which, I guess, is somewhat moot in this case since it's a ho and stud spacing may not match the originals anyway.

I love the ghetto 2 to 3 point makeover.

Another option; a trapeze tailpeice (might be slightly more elegant, though not necessarily worth the additional cost for a ho).

You are correct, Granny - the spacing of the mounting bolts (I'm not going down Mark's slippery language slope again) is narrower - I compared it to a 3-point I had laying around, and it's a no-go. Tragically, Uwe's stroke of genius may not do the trick either. I may have to end up just slamming the bridge down to the body with a pair of generic 8x1.25 bolts. Actually, my biggest problem is the narrow neck and string spacing - almost everything is a 20mm spread string to string - I've come across a few that would work outside of that limitation.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »

This is what I get for trying to be polite......... :-\

Try to think in terms of human anatomy, not automotive  ;)  In its own way it kind of is exhaust. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »
This is what I get for trying to be polite......... :-\

Try to think in terms of human anatomy, not automotive  ;)  In its own way it kind of is exhaust. 

Nah - if I'm reading you correctly, it's more like pumping the brake pedal to bleed the master cylinder.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »
Tragically, Uwe's stroke of genius may not do the trick either.

Really?  Why not.  It's so... efficient (german for simple and foolproof).

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »

"ah - if I'm reading you correctly, it's more like pumping the brake pedal to bleed the master cylinder."

;D  Yes, yes!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
I'm too yopung for this conversation guys.  :o

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »
Really?  Why not.  It's so... efficient (german for simple and foolproof).
Theoretically, it SHOULD work - but I cant adjust the bridge itself any lower, and when I add the "Rube Goldberg" mod, the action comes up. Personally, I think it's just a flawed copy of a flawed design. Filthy ho!