Author Topic: Change of plans  (Read 1125 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Change of plans
« on: September 20, 2009, 06:53:41 AM »
Some time ago I picked up an Aria Diamond bass as a project.  The Diamond is a predecessor of the Univox Hi-Flyer, made in the late 60's.  Problem was, the Diamond was a body and neck with a bridge and pickguard, and it needed a complete refin and electronics.  It was the one I planned to refin in Gibson Gold Top.  I already have the paint from Reranch, and a pair of Hi-Flyer pickups from Eastwood that are a perfect fit....but no time.

BUT - last night I found the same bass on Ebay, in sunburst, complete and even sporting the bridge cover (which I like).  Now it's mine, and I'm going to re-sell the project Diamond.  I'll put up info later today, and also list on Ebay...but if someone here wants to make a decent offer, I'll sell it here. For YOU GUYS, if you like, I'll throw in the Gold Top refin paint from Reranch.com at no extra charge.

I'm just not getting around to some of the projects I have, so the Aria goes, my Kay K-2B will go, and a Lyle SG-style bass will go.

Here's the new toy - NOT requiring assembly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180406845447&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And - oh yeah - WSU 30, SMU 27 in overtime!!   Go, COUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 06:58:57 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Change of plans
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:07:43 AM »
Seems like a good price on that Aria.

Sorry to say, beating SMU isn't what I'd call a major accomplishment.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 09:45:40 AM »
Seems like a good price on that Aria.

Sorry to say, beating SMU isn't what I'd call a major accomplishment.

You speak truth - both ways.

BUT - when my team went 2-10 last year, beating only Portland State (1-AA) and the lowly warshington dawgs (leaving them gloriously 0-12), and when we lost your first two games to Stanford and Hawaii, and hearing the SMU game billed as the best chance remaining for a win this season, this W became something to celebrate!  (I'll take it where I can get it.)

At this point, the Cougs didn't need a major accomplishment - they needed a W.  And they got it with two of their starting defensive line out, playing a 3-man front with 5 linebackers, and racking up only 276 yards to SMU's 504 yards of offense.  Four turnovers to the Cougs helped - two of them run back for touchdowns in the last quarter.

Last year, we had no defense.  They went out for a beer and missed the bus to the game.  This year, there are signs that a defense might actually stroll onto the field!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 09:24:38 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:21:29 PM »
Mosrite in style...? yes...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »
Mosrite in style...? yes...?

EXACTLY!!!  Well, the Aria Diamond was the predecessor of the Univox Hi-Flyer, and both were copies of the Mosrites.

I have two other basses up at auction, but haven't gotten the Aria up yet...so I just added it to the classifieds here.  Check it out!

Here's a Lyle: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130332405316&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Here's a Kay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130332410151

I see the Lyle already has a bid - that's a good sign.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:37:59 PM by Pilgrim »

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
if you ever see a Univox or Aria next to a real Mosrite you'll notice they're much smaller than the real one.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 09:25:32 PM »
Didn't know that.  I've never seen one of the Mosrite originals.  The only Mosrite I've seen was a hollow-body in a Seattle GC.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 11:38:46 PM »
Eastwood makes a nice Mosrite copy. Aria has started to make a new Mosrite copy guitar, but I don't know if they also reissue the bass.