Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

Crouching Tiger Hidden Mudbucker

<< < (2/4) > >>

chromium:
Stealth attack!  I like it  8)

Basvarken:
The screws on a mudbucker don't really have a function.
The magnets are on the sides of the pickup.
I would worry a bit about the distance of the actual pickup to the strings.
On the other hand; a mudbucker can be quite overpowering in combination with other pickups.
Maybe  having it so low would solve that?

Granny Gremlin:
Yes they do - I have used mudbucker  polepeice (screw) height to balance string to string volume on my 65 EB3.

That may not hold true for the Reissue pup, Artec or the TBPlus-in-mud-clothing.

Basvarken:
So what do they do exactly on a real mudbucker?
Widen/heighten  the magnetic field?

The mudbuckers I've seen ( both genuine Gibson and Artec as well as Gotoh) have those screws on between the coils. On a rail that isn't connected to anything really. Or am I missing something there?

Granny Gremlin:
Just like on most other pups with adjustable poles, you can raise or lower them to affect the volume of a given string.  I am not going to pretend I understand the physics behind it or why that works, but it does.  I would guess that it extends the magnetic field so that the string is in a stronger portion of it vs weaker periphery. ... I guess it's also like raising the entire bridge pickup a bit or dropping the neck to balance out their relative output.

The screws on mine are magnetic (even though they are mounted into a place, as you say, between the coils and the magnets on the outer edges of those coils -  there could be a 3rd magnet or just by virtue of metallic contact between the center rail and the outer magnets - there is a baseplate - though if the magnets are strong enough that would not be necessary).  I have a reissue (out of a bud's Epi EB0) in the parts drawer that I could check as well. ... oh wait, if you look at the pics here (http://music-electronics-forum.com/t28235-3/) you can see the core sheet steel that runs through both coils and touches the outer magnets.  There's also that thing on the bottom middle that could be a rusty ferrous magnet, but I am not sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version