Author Topic: I was truly worried ...  (Read 6659 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I was truly worried ...
« on: February 03, 2015, 01:34:08 PM »
... that the harsh treatment and unwarranted derision Ms Anne Erickson received in these quarters with her last treatise on Gibson basses might have caused a writer's block with her, but look and behold there she is again, more howler-free too:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Gibson-2015-Bass-Lineup.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Gibson%20Brands,%20Inc.&utm_content=Editorial+eBlast+-+Feb.+2.+2015

Ah, and then those remarkable "duel mini-toggle switches (which ) control Gibson’s tuned coil tap wiring", she writes about with spelldefying precision, they must work against each other ...

Meet the young lass here, Goth Pop Metal, I'm not gonna be crual, it's not badly done if you can still listen to that kind of stuff (and Nightwish, Evanescence and Within Temptation are your thing), they could at least provide her with a Goth Gibson SG Bass for her band so she doesn't have to write about her Epi EB-3 anymore:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:27:36 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

copacetic

• View Profile
Re: I was truly worried ...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »
She mentions that the Thunderbird is "purpose driven for hard rock and metal".  While I do admit that it might not be the first choice for reggae 'driven' music ( but who knows, depends on your approach). I certainly used mine for r'n b styles for many years. I recently saw a classical guitar quimtet consisting of 2 classical guitars, a violin, a cello and lo and behold a bassist using a Thunderbird. The bassist was sitting in the classical guitar hold position playing his TBird ( flatwound strings) through a gallien Krueger MB150 amp and he fir right in and the over all sound was glorious and they were doing a bach recital.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 04:08:49 PM »
What is she saying here?

"The comprehensive wood selection and grading ensures the folks at Gibson match the rarest and finest wood to each bass guitar using the quality of the match, consistency of the figure, intensity of the figure, clarity and wave."

And she clearly doesn't know the difference between buffing and buffering.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
She mentions that the Thunderbird is "purpose driven for hard rock and metal".  While I do admit that it might not be the first choice for reggae 'driven' music ( but who knows, depends on your approach). I certainly used mine for r'n b styles for many years. I recently saw a classical guitar quimtet consisting of 2 classical guitars, a violin, a cello and lo and behold a bassist using a Thunderbird. The bassist was sitting in the classical guitar hold position playing his TBird ( flatwound strings) through a gallien Krueger MB150 amp and he fir right in and the over all sound was glorious and they were doing a bach recital.

The TBird became a symbol for harder rocking music over time, JAE, Overend Watts, Pete Way, Martin Turner and Nikki Sixx all had to do with that. But it was initially, in 1963 together with the companion guitar Firebird, aimed at mature players playing serious music.

And it was priced accordingly. Plus the neck-thru-construction and maho wood still give testimony that the instrument was not so much aimed at an aggressive sound, but a musical tone. A TBird tone never gets in the way. And while with the right amp you can make a TBird sound aggressive too, it won't provide you with the nasty cut-thru tone a P Bass can even over a less than decent rig. The guy who sold me his Bicentennial remarked, "This needs a good rig to show its strengths, but a P Bass will sound like a P Bass over anything".

Same thing with the Firebird, that never gained the popularity of Gibson's set neck guitars or Fender's bolt-on guitars either because the Firebird was perceived as docile compared to a Les Paul or Strat. Maybe it's just more musical and less an "axe".
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:36:06 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »

And she clearly doesn't know the difference between buffing and buffering.

Sigh, young people, it's what they read on their screens when they download illegally. And then there is Buffery, the Vampire Slayer.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 05:07:43 PM »

I think you should invite her over, we can school her on Gibson basses and buffing  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 05:53:53 PM »
Uwe brings up a good point here re the musicality of the TBird. I remember those first TBird ads with the collegiate looking boys/men holding this rather phallic looking instrument that was new to our/my eyes. The first I saw one was Brian Jones then some German  group and then Entwhistle.  Recalling when I used my TBirds (and Hofners) were usually (not always) for gigs and projects where I was in trios or more acoustic settings where I had more space. The Fenders were my rock go to bass and I did not mind them getting banged up.
Interested when Uwe gets his for his take on it.

Mark also brings up a very pertinent point about the buffing.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »
What is she saying here?

"The comprehensive wood selection and grading ensures the folks at Gibson match the rarest and finest wood to each bass guitar using the quality of the match, consistency of the figure, intensity of the figure, clarity and wave."

Translates: "They use good wood too and stuff."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »

I am Cornholio!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 07:22:07 PM »

Here is Tyran(t) "Gunbelt" Porter mercilessly pushing the metal envelope with The Dööbie Brözzerz, really thrashing it out!!! Bang that joint/doobie that doesn't bang!!!

Further evidence: Steel Panther Dan!!!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:28:24 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:49:25 PM »
"I actually have an Epiphone EB-3, which is not the same as an SG but close"

Yeah, right.  :rolleyes:

Except for the different scale length, different bridge, different pickups (especially the neck pickup on the Gibson, which is definitely not a sidewinder), not to mention the alleged new features.... yeah, Anne, they're close.  :P

Edited to add: and the different neck joint, of course.

"Thicker, stronger cables make for stronger signal strength"

Bullshit.

I'm also doubtful that they have increased the thickness of the fretboard. Guess we'll find out when Uwe picks his up. And if they have, it won't increase sustain.

Or that the new case gives any more protection from extreme temperature and humidity.

What is she saying here?

Sure, they do.  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:01:59 AM by Dave W »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:12:41 AM »
I expect those new heavy duty "cables" for enhanced clarity to increase weight considerably.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 09:26:55 AM »
She's paid to write by Gibson; what do you expect?  Gibson has been making some of these very same claims (e.g. about the wiring, which look the same to me in their promo pics) on their product pages.  I'd go on about the ethics of 'sponsored content' but this is actually published on the Gibson website vs an 'independant' mag.  They probably give her point form notes to work off of - if not ghost writing it completely.

The Epi being almost the same as the SG is another marketing ploy - those who can afford the Gibson brand know better (or just want the right logo on the headstock ) and those who can't are consoled by being able to get almost what they want.

... also, when it comes to tone descriptors, thick and punchy are almost mutually exclusive.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 09:46:17 AM »

"Thicker, stronger cables make for stronger signal strength"

Bullshit.

Agreed. "Thicker cable" translates to "more vinyl on the outside" with no benefit to the signal. Same thing they do with cheap AC extension cords - add vinyl to make it look tougher, without changing the wire gauge.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."