Author Topic: mudbuckers & distortion  (Read 6585 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
mudbuckers & distortion
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
Hey guys, I recently received a picture of my '68 EB-2, taken during a recording session back in 2003:

I prefer the look of it without the pickguard so I took it off. Back then I used it a lot with distortion - in this case a Budda Phat Bass pedal. I also recently posted a track from the same session:

http://soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven/yes-frost

Long live the Mighty Mudbucker!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: mudbuckers & distortion
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »
 That is a very cool track, sounds like it could have been recorded in '68 :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
Thanks got!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on the finish? I always assumed it was original, but I remember the guitar player at the session saying he thought it was a refin. Looking at these pictures now, I can see that it does look kind of splotchy. Here's another shot:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
Thanks got!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on the finish? I always assumed it was original, but I remember the guitar player at the session saying he thought it was a refin. Looking at these pictures now, I can see that it does look kind of splotchy. Here's another shot:

That's typical of lower quality maple which Norlin wasn't above using in '68. IMO that's why they did some walnut ones, maple can have have brown areas which aren't as noticeable when stained that dark.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
 The finish looks original to me as well. Purtty bass.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
Very cool track indeed. I'm chasing that sort of sound with my Epi Rivoli.  Flats I presume?
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »
Enjoyed the track!  The Budda+mud combo sounds great.  I don't know if its just me, or does the EB-2/Rivoli produce lows beyond all lows?  Mine seems to have a much deeper voice than the other EBs, but it has the earlier pickup- maybe that has something to do with it.

Did you sell this bass, or is it with friends now?  I like the sort of mottled look in the wood grain.  That's a good theory re: why they started offering the dark walnut finish.  Sparkling Burgundy was another means cover-up, and I always liked that finish too... even when it turns bronze.  Thought I remember someone at the old place referring to the bronzed SB finish as "Sparkling Fritter"  ;D  

Hey is that bass cabinet from the same "Ace Tone" company whose founder started Roland?  Don't recall seeing another cab like that before...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
Very cool track indeed. I'm chasing that sort of sound with my Epi Rivoli.  Flats I presume?

Thank you - yes it is flats, probably Rotosound Monels? I like the way flats sound with distortion & fuzz - different than rounds, though that can be a cool sound too (think 4001...)

Enjoyed the track!  The Budda+mud combo sounds great.  I don't know if its just me, or does the EB-2/Rivoli produce lows beyond all lows?  Mine seems to have a much deeper voice than the other EBs, but it has the earlier pickup- maybe that has something to do with it.

Agreed on the massive sub-lows, not sure if it's just the EB-2, I feel like my Melody Maker also has them, but it is also from 1968. Does yours have the same pickup as mine? I never figured out the different mudbucker variations.

Did you sell this bass, or is it with friends now?  I like the sort of mottled look in the wood grain.  That's a good theory re: why they started offering the dark walnut finish.  Sparkling Burgundy was another means cover-up, and I always liked that finish too... even when it turns bronze.  Thought I remember someone at the old place referring to the bronzed SB finish as "Sparkling Fritter"  ;D  

It's still at the same studio in Boston. I think of selling it since I don't use it much anymore, but never get around to it so it just sits there... The mottled maple theory makes sense to me!

Hey is that bass cabinet from the same "Ace Tone" company whose founder started Roland?  Don't recall seeing another cab like that before...

Yup, same Ace Tone, but it's just the logo from an old Ace Tone cab I inherited - I stuck it on a Carvin cab! Here's the head:

This head stayed with me for a long time, but I finally gave it away...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »
Yup, same Ace Tone

Thought that name looked familiar  8)  Didn't realize they had made bass amps.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »
Looks like mine.

"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Looks like mine.

I wish! An extra mudbucker would be so cool - then I could pretend to be Steve Swallow. Speaking of fuzzy Gibsons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNo1VqARE7Y&list=FLJPTKHxB_XKoP1BDy5-yXwQ&index=36&feature=plpp_video

Also, yours doesn't look as splotchy as mine, I wonder if it's the use of flash in my pictures?  ???

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:43:27 PM »
this is what swallow plays now with a steel pick. its the first one in the slide show. the AE5 swallow 5 string.

http://www.citron-guitars.com/?p=press&id=1

only 6100.00. :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:36:50 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 05:35:26 PM »
Interesting concept.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
this is what swallow plays now with a steel pick. its the first one in the slide show. the AE5 swallow 5 string.

http://www.citron-guitars.com/?p=press&id=1

only 6100.00. :mrgreen:

I love those! The look anyway.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »
I like the idea of those adjustable bone saddles.