Author Topic: New LP Doublecut  (Read 6949 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: New LP Doublecut
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »

Because some kid stuck it there in 1972 when he refinned it.  Same punk who changed the tuners in '66. 
Still a way cool bass! Antique restoration is my thing................................at some point even work that maybe should not have been done becomes part of the piece and should be left alone.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »
A+ Scott
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »
i bet it sounds good though.
Still a way cool bass! Antique restoration is my thing................................at some point even work that maybe should not have been done becomes part of the piece and should be left alone.

It's the best sounding of my 3 EBOs.  1 3/4" mahogany body has something to do with it.  Pretty tight bottom end with the mudbucker by itself. The '68 Tele pup in the neck bridge position provides enough highs to balance the 'bucker in the middle switch position quite well.  No neck dive, again due to the thick body.  Intonation and high fret access are acceptable.  Neck is a full 1 3/4" wide at nut, zero tension on trussrod, dead straight with 45-105s.

I switched the tuners 'cause the banjos were useless, the Schallers cost me almost as much as I paid for the bass.  The 'Tele pup was free, I did the pickup rout with a drill and a chisel and the refin with a Preval sprayer and nitro.  This was my only bass for a lot of years.  You can imagine what it sounded like thru a B-18, still sounds good with my B-15.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:56:33 PM by dadagoboi »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 04:09:06 AM »
I like that Tele pup on it and it makes musical sense. Would never change it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 06:17:33 AM »
Pity there's only Chris' cell-phone pic to check out. It doesn't look all that bad, just a bit plain ...... Pity they've opted for Pelham Green though, it would have looked better in TV Yellow IMO ......
Experience is the ultimate teacher