Author Topic: Les Paul Jr. Tribute DC Reviews  (Read 6665 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Re: Les Paul Jr. Tribute DC Reviews
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2021, 11:50:30 AM »
I was just editting that because I googled it and so yeah.  [shakes fist at the linguist who told me it was just French and Polish]

Incidentally (I am trying to get better at this self promotion stuff) this song is now on Spotify:

Sorry about the misspelling there; we were going for a risque Betelgeuse reference and were jamming in Little Portugal at the time.  All the jokes on the local music/arts message board were about sidewalk watering for a few months there.

That's really good!  I'd love to hear more.

I thought the 'Portugeuse' spelling was funny.  I was imagining it pronounced akin to 'Betelgeuse.'

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2021, 12:11:16 PM »

So this is a game now?  Slovenian?

LOL not a game, I was just approaching the whole story from the aspect of linguistics, not nationality.

Serbian. I actually understand Czech/Slovak better than I do Slovenian, and I lived in the same country with these folks for about three decades.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2021, 01:18:56 PM »
That's really good!  I'd love to hear more.

I thought the 'Portugeuse' spelling was funny.  I was imagining it pronounced akin to 'Betelgeuse.'

URL hack the link back up a directory or 2. ;P  It's also searchable on spotify if you use that.

LOL not a game, I was just approaching the whole story from the aspect of linguistics, not nationality.

Serbian. I actually understand Czech/Slovak better than I do Slovenian, and I lived in the same country with these folks for about three decades.

Ah, I have no experience with Serbian and considering the Balkan *thing* I just assumed it would be somehow even more weird (relative to my Polo-normative brain).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2021, 01:31:19 PM »
URL hack the link back up a directory or 2. ;P  It's also searchable on spotify if you use that.

Awesome, thanks. Got it.  I don't use any streaming services.  But I did just buy a few new records from Mobile Fidelity.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2021, 01:50:57 PM »

Ah, I have no experience with Serbian and considering the Balkan *thing* I just assumed it would be somehow even more weird (relative to my Polo-normative brain).

No biggie. Unless one lives in London, Toronto, Chicago, Auckland or Queens County NY the chances of them ever getting exposed to Serbian language are pretty slim... :)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
Well I am in Toronto.... and I have met a few Serbian people, just one at a time so not speaking the language amongst themselves.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2021, 05:00:30 PM »
Well I am in Toronto.... and I have met a few Serbian people, just one at a time so not speaking the language amongst themselves.

Understood. I haven't been in Toronto in 20 years...liked it quite well back then.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2021, 01:39:50 AM »
Yeah, Portuguese definitely has nasalized vowel sounds.  I speak it fluently, and I also studied Linguistics in college. :)  One common example would be the 'ã' in the city name of São Paulo.

I don't speak it, but I've been around friends who did speak Portuguese.  It's one of the most beautiful languages in the world.  They are very different, but both European and Brazilian Portuguese sound beautiful.  I've never been able to decide which I like better.  From a layman's perspective, it seems to me that Brazilian Portuguese sounds more nasalized than than the European kind.  Of course, that may be because I've heard it spoken more. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2021, 11:40:52 AM »
I don't speak it, but I've been around friends who did speak Portuguese.  It's one of the most beautiful languages in the world.  They are very different, but both European and Brazilian Portuguese sound beautiful.  I've never been able to decide which I like better.  From a layman's perspective, it seems to me that Brazilian Portuguese sounds more nasalized than than the European kind.  Of course, that may be because I've heard it spoken more.

Yeah, the difference is akin to the difference between American and British English.  I think a lot of Brazilians would say that the Portuguese don't open their mouths when they speak.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2021, 12:12:29 AM »
Can we all agree that Latin is the universal language and that fellatio is Latin in origin, whether or not it happens in a Bratislava gas station?  8)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2021, 08:16:02 AM »

and so we're being inclusive:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2021, 12:08:37 PM »
Can we all agree that Latin is the universal language and that fellatio is Latin in origin, whether or not it happens in a Bratislava gas station?  8)

Fake history again  :mrgreen:, fellatio is Egyptian in origin, ole Isis blew the living lights back into her hubbie (and brother ... - hey, they were Eee-gyp-shuns!) Osiris to resurr(e)rect him from death (murdered by further sibling Seth, I tell you they were some real nasty Pharaoh trash) and she used his conveniently placed body valve to do it. What did you - albeit fleetingly - learn at school in the 50ies, Dave?!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 01:12:48 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »

I'm dying over here...  :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2021, 12:29:41 AM »
Fake history again  :mrgreen:, fellatio is Egyptian in origin, ole Isis blew the living lights back into her hubbie (and brother ... - hey, they were Eee-gyp-shuns!) Osiris to resurr(e)rect him from death (murdered by further sibling Seth, I tell you they were some real nasty Pharaoh trash) and she used his conveniently placed body valve to do it. What did you - albeit fleetingly - learn at school in the 50ies, Dave?!

The word is Latin in origin, and we definitely didn't learn about it in elementary school.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2021, 06:06:07 AM »
Wot, no Sexualkunde at American schools?!  Together with no Evolutionslehre then? :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:15:10 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...