Author Topic: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update  (Read 26396 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2020, 07:37:37 PM »
daaamn.... i am trying to hold out 3 months till i get some cash but this is getting difficult

I don't need another bass
I need another bass

Austerity is a crap concept.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2020, 08:13:18 PM »
Who's arm did they twist? If i'm not mistaken there have not been a chrome covered T-bird shaped pickup on any Gibson bass since 1986 (the Custom Shop TB II). In 1991 there were the special edition three pickup 'birds but they were gold plated right?

Remember, it was Chicago Music Exchange who talked Gibson into making a bass version of the DC Junior Tribute guitar. A while after last year's NAMM, I called CME to find out when they would be in stores. Their bass guy told me that CME would get them with a chrome covered pickup and everyone else would get plastic covers. I mentioned that here back then.

Obviously the CME exclusives didn't come out until over a year later, but here they are.

ZZ Sounds has them at $799...has Gibson officially pulled the plug on this model ? What's the deal with all these blowouts ?

It's still shown as a current model in the Modern Collection on Gibson's website. No idea what they're doing here. Maybe they overproduced, but maybe they're just aggressively promoting it and cutting dealer cost. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 16, 2020, 12:39:19 PM »
I just pulled the trigger on a blue one from MF. All four colors were available at three local GC’s yesterday. The cherry & blue basses must have sold. At $599, they are selling....... Yesterday they were still $799 at MF but today they were listed at $599. A great deal..... So much for will power.....
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 16, 2020, 10:41:21 PM »
Guess what?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BAJDTWCCHL--gibson-les-paul-junior-tribute-doublecut-bass-left-handed-worn-cherry
Oh, damn.  Good thing I'm not interested in short scales.  I know I mentioned that in this thread. I was more tempting fate, and fate one-upped me.  Good thing Epiphone doesn't make a left-handed Thunderbird VP!  Think that'll work?

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2020, 11:18:28 AM »
Even though it's short scale, the band loved the sound.

Will be playing in a large bar this weekend...hopefully it sounds as good as in the basement.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2020, 09:39:15 PM »
Oh, damn.  Good thing I'm not interested in short scales.  I know I mentioned that in this thread. I was more tempting fate, and fate one-upped me.  Good thing Epiphone doesn't make a left-handed Thunderbird VP!  Think that'll work?

I wonder if it was a special order that was cancelled. I just happened to check Sweetwater to see if they still had the reduced pricing. Turns out this was the only one they had in stock.

Even though it's short scale, the band loved the sound.

Will be playing in a large bar this weekend...hopefully it sounds as good as in the basement.

I can't see why it wouldn't. Good luck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2020, 08:37:02 AM »
My ears may have lost all their tread, but I really can't hear any difference between a sort and long scale bass with similar strings. I'm sure the new one will be a hit.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2020, 09:26:09 PM »
Saw a post on FB that American Musical has them for $549 and $649, depending on color. That means zZounds has them too, since they share inventory.

It also says "Closeout Price - Was $999! While They Last!" so at this point I wondewr if they really are being discontinued.

I looked at the guitars too and they are blowing out the DC Junior and Special Tribute guitars for as low as $549.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2020, 07:42:15 AM »
The LP DC Special is getting harder to find. MF only lists the black stain being available. All four colors are available for the JR. The Gibson site list the blue stain bass as “Out of Stock”. Odd that AMS would charge more for blue stain...........
I ordered mine on Sunday. The order verification said it should be here today, but it didn’t leave Lenexa KS until after 4:00 this morning. Delivery changed to tomorrow.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2020, 08:43:07 AM »
I got the bass in worn cherry at $549.  At that price I could't resist.  And that was my first choice in color anyway. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »

Mine came yesterday.  Paid $479 (blem from GC) + tax, free shipping.  Looks good, only "blem" I see is scuffing on the pickguard, like from being tried out in a store or something.

The blue stain on the body is several shades darker than shown in the stock photos on the web, it looks almost black.  Good match on the 3-piece body though.  If I'd known it would be this dark, I may have picked cherry instead, it's fine though.  Some nice "flame" on the maple neck also, if you're into that sorta thing.

Needs a full setup, action is OK but check out that G-string saddle position.  Good lord!  Also look at the gig bag they sent it in.  Not sure what that one is good for... maybe a Stromberg?

Nice bass overall, can't complain much at that price.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2020, 12:15:16 PM »
You got a great deal.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2020, 12:39:15 PM »
You got a great deal.

I wouldn't have even known about these if you hadn't posted about it.  I keep up with American Musical from time to time.  The last time i ordered from someone was from them.  But that was six weeks ago and that was only a case.  But this current deal from them would have probably gone by unnoticed by me. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2020, 03:28:34 PM »
I just got back from the local GC. I met my guitar guy there to check out the blue stain LP DC Special. When I got there, I noticed that the price had gone back up to $999. They said that the Presidents Day Sale ended yesterday. Luckily, it was still marked down on their web site, so they had to match it...... The blue stain guitar was only really blue on about 1/3rd of the body, the rest looked closer to black. They also had a cherry one that looked much nicer, we walked out with it...... It will be interesting to see what color my bass ends up when it comes tomorrow. The guy at GC said that the blue bass they had generated a lot of interest during the short time that they had it. It must have been the only Gibson bass in the store. Just a few Epiphones.
MF seems to be out of all colors but cherry, though GC still seems to be able to order all colors.....

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:23:55 PM by Grog »