Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Ampeg Dan Armstrong copy

(1/3) > >>

Chris P.:
I stop buying basses now for a while.

As a '70s Faces and Stones fan I always fancied a see through Dan Armstrong bass. Real ones are around 3000 euros/dollars (Euro and Dollar are 1:1 at the moment) plus shipping, VAT, etc. A friend bought a copy at the NAMM, installed a Nordstrand and he loves it, so I went looking for one,

I bought this one on Aliexpress recently. The bass + shipping + taxes + i port duties were € 260  ($ 260) in total. A steal. It's very well made, I have to work on the action. It doesn't sound that good, the neck isn't that nice, but hey: who cares?  :mrgreen: Maybe I'll look out for a decent MM pickup, but I see it more as a bass for pics, videos, etc. I don't want to spend too much moneys on it.

gearHed289:
Hard to go wrong at that price. Standard pickup shape gives you lots of options.

Alanko:
I had a Chinese Dan Armstrong copy for a week or so. I struggled with it. It had one or two fatal flaws sadly.

godofthunder:
   I just took delivery of one of these and I have to say it's beautifully made. Great neck, excellent fret work and the body is a piece of machined acrylic art. Plays great. The pickup is a little lack luster but my DOD pre amp pedal gives it a good boost. For $299 I couldn't be happier.  I've played a original one more than one occasion and this beats them hands down.

BTL:
Very nice, congrats!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version