Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Gretsch Junior Jet Bass

(1/7) > >>

Chris P.:
Strange. The humbuckers are single coils... Why would Gretsch/Fender do this?

morrow:
I suspect somebody looked at it and said “yup , mini humbucker” .
I don’t believe there was any intentional fraud .
Hell , we all make stupid assumptions .

Pilgrim:
There's a group of Gretsch fans at TB, and a long thread about this.  I know the pickups design in their Junior Jet series has changed over time, and I wonder if they left some information on the website which turned out to be incorrect.  I personally don't care as long as the instrument sounds good. 

morrow:
The original Jet with a single pickup was Korean made . Production moved to China . From the start it was an inexpensive bass , and when they decide to cut corners to make something really cheap , well , you get something cheap .
So they stuck a single coil under the cover , not a big deal to me . It looks like a mini humbucker , so someone assumed it was . Who actually looks carefully at their pickups to insure that they did , in fact , get the humbuckers that were on the spec sheet ?
I doubt this was an attempt to scam the consumer .

But perhaps it was .

Alanko:
I found the same inside the pickups of my old Aria TAB bass. They looked like Firebird pickups but were cheap singlies and lots of paraffin wax.

The naughty Gretsch pickups will be generic OEM pickups made by BHK, Artec or some other cheap shite like that. Probably spec'd as humbuckers and nobody at Gretsch ever bothered to gut one for any reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version