Author Topic: Two Kliras  (Read 2001 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Two Kliras
« on: January 22, 2009, 12:49:22 PM »
 Well I know how much Bill(drbassman) likes hollow bodies so I thought I'd post these. Bill was over the other day and one of the things in my shop was a Klira I bought several years ago from Thorton Davis ( Curt?).  TD brokered a deal and I got this one super cheap but one of the pups was dead. So I took the pup off and packed it up in a box to send to Curtis Novak. Well there that pup sat on my bench for the looooooooooooooooongest time. I sent it in about three weeks ago and got it back this week so I was finally able to get the bass back together ! Curtis did a fantastic job on the pup btw and very reasonable I thought. How does one end up with two you might ask ? Well the bass on the left was my first bass, my Dad bought it for me at the House of Guitars in Rochester NY must have been 1972. I can still remember how excited and happy I was with my Klira and Ampeg Reverb Rocket II amp (the one with both guitar and accordian input LMAO) packed in the back seat of my Dads '65 Tbird . At one point in my youth I tried to improve my Klira by installing Gibson SB450 pickups, I don't think they really sound any better than the originals lol but I had fun doing the mod (see Uwe my experiments have been going on for a long long time). Anyhow at one point my original ended up in pieces stored in the case, pretty much forgotten for the most part. Wow must have been about 20 years ago I put it back together and I still treasure it, one of these days I hope to find some original pickups for it. I like these  basses more than my '65 Hofner ! They play great and sure seem to be built better.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:34:19 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Two Kliras
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »
Ah yes, they are beauties!  I'll have to hear them through an amp someday when I have more time to stay.  Work is such a drag when it encroaches on one's hobby!

I have to say that I like the styling and finish on these.  Very nice and probably underrated for sure.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »
killer pair of bassguitars. Nice!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:47:35 PM »
I dig 'em! In the parlance of the 60's, they are BOSS.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 09:44:47 AM »
Great to see that you were able to get your second Twen Star 356 back together Scott. Looks like your original 356 has a one piece back and the newer one a two piece back.

Now were going to have to get you a Twen Star 162.

Enjoy

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 10:06:29 AM »
Yep your right TD the one on the left has a one piece back the one on the right a two piece, both are beautiful imho. My original on the right is a little more yellow/amber in color and glossier while the one on the right is more brown and duller.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
there's one up for sale now in germany. Keep tracing it. but I don't have any money at this time.  >:(

Two days left to scratch some money from somewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Klira-Beatles-Bass_W0QQitemZ150323928475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGitarren?hash=item150323928475&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 07:08:38 AM »
I've been tracking it and have been in touch with the seller. It has issues.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 07:17:28 AM »
What kind of issues does it have ? That darker tint down the front doesn't look right but other than that it looks ok. Love the pickguard, I still have the pattern you sent me TD but I have yet to order the material LOL

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:46:09 AM »
Scott,
According to the seller, the pickups do not work. It's sold as is with no return.
Yeah, that pickguard is pretty cool with the logo on it.
TD

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »
I just just got one Klira pickup back from Curtis Novak, cost all of 80 bucks to get it rewound.

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 01:54:11 PM »
I just just got one Klira pickup back from Curtis Novak, cost all of 80 bucks to get it rewound.

I suspect that it's a simple wiring problem. I've seen it many time before with Twen Star basses. Shouldn't be hard to fix.

TD

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 08:26:17 AM »
Wonderful and - for the time being - still under-appreciated basses.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.