Author Topic: Leaving one band for another..  (Read 1043 times)

Blackbird

• View Profile
Leaving one band for another..
« on: June 30, 2013, 06:56:12 PM »
Gang..

Looking for some input...been jamming original stuff with a few guys since last year..November I think.   Great guys, but the project never engaged me at any one point in time...I just went thru a three audition process with another band for their bassist...and it's much more up my ally.  I've got the gig, and there's a lot of potential with these guys.

I'm hittin 40 this year, and the band I got into has some big potential and material ready to go (and all are very talented....drummer will really push me to be a better player), and really my best shot at hittin a dream.

I'm at a loss on how to tell these guys I'm moving on.  I plan to be honest, but is a phone call to the 'leader' a bit crude?  They are moving on so much online stuff etc...and want photos done on Monday...I won't get to meet them all and tell them at once where I'm out of town.

Thoughts?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Leaving one band for another..
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »
IMO it would be most thoughtful to meet face to face with at least one person, preferably the band leader.  Failing that, a polite and expressive email to the members.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »
Try your best to meet the frontman or bandleader in person if you can't meet with all of them. Phone, mail or email can leave lasting hard feelings.

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 08:41:27 AM »
Just curious, but is there a certain reason that it has to be strictly one band or the other
as opposed to playing in more than one group?
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »
Just curious, but is there a certain reason that it has to be strictly one band or the other
as opposed to playing in more than one group?

Yeah...I work a long week - 9-6 everyday. Have a better half, a step son...The 'new' band will be rehearsing 3 times a week, and they are in a top studio in the city in the middle of getting songs recorded etc...I just can't commit to both and it's not fair to anyone at all. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:47:39 AM »
Keep it simple, keep it short...

If you got on with them on a social level then face-2-face; if not then a phone call is all it needs if it is unlikely you will be seeing them again...

Good luck...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
That IS a tough schedule.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »
Well, it's all sorted with no hard feelings..had a meeting this morning with the guy who was driving the band to this point.  They were getting ready to email me about it too, and had a guy lined up for tonight for a quiet audition.  I'm just glad it's something else that's stressful off my list after losing my best buddy to congestive heart failure. 

Hopefully things are looking up.......excited to jam again!