Author Topic: Only in America ...  (Read 1506 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Only in America ...
« on: November 05, 2020, 06:21:09 AM »
GMC probably gave out the corporate order to their engineering and design dept: "We've got to at least appear to go with the times, but don't lose the appeal for people who couldn't care less about energy consumption. Come up with something ...".

And thus it unfolded, come up they did ...  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :

Now I want one too (I'll even forgive them the Led Zep in the background!).  :rimshot:  "11,500 pound feet of torque" will still just about help you in most everyday traffic situations I believe, I mean we all have to make sacrifices to save the planet.   8)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 07:09:24 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Only in America ...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 07:58:51 AM »
I've recently become interested in electric vehicles. The amount of instant torque is impressive and presumably fun.  ;D Last December we got my wife a hybrid Ford Fusion. Man is it weird having the vehicle move in dead silence when the gas motor isn't running! I'm not much of an off road guy, so I'd go with this over the Hummer. And yes, I HATE that they put the Mustang name on it, but it was a good marketing ploy.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 08:28:28 AM »

Something must be wrong with me, I find this almost repulsive. I'm just not a "truck" person, way too much Tiny Dick Energy going on there - A great big Nope!

P.S. The last good looking car from GM was the '79 trans Am! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 08:42:46 AM »
I find it enchantingly repulsive, if that makes sense. Sin is always alluring.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 01:55:04 PM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »
I find it enchantingly repulsive, if that make sense. Sin is always alluring.

That thing is the automotive equivalent of a "Double Bagger"...........Chew both your arms off so you can never be seen driving it!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 09:18:15 AM »
Electric vehicles are great too drive. The torque over the whole rev curve is impressive. But last weekend I borrowed a Bentley with a 6 liter W12 and two turbo chargers and I just goot hooked on the sound. So much low end! A real bassist's car!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »
I thought my 1966 Pontiac GTO with the 389-4 barrel had one of the greatest bass notes in history at wide open throttle.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 05:45:42 PM »
It's true folks, even my Nissan Leaf can surprise people at the lights.
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 08:06:04 AM »
Last electric car I had was Scalectrix... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »
My '08 Mustang GT puts out a pretty mean low end with the Ford Racing version of Borla Stinger mufflers that I put on.  8) That car still puts a big, stupid smile on my face.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 10:08:39 AM »
That thing is the automotive equivalent of a "Double Bagger"...........Chew both your arms off so you can never be seen driving it!

95% of the cars designed and built today are either nondescript or just plain butt ugly.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 12:12:52 PM »
95% of the cars designed and built today are either nondescript or just plain butt ugly.

It's true. There are very few distinctively designed cars - and since SUVs and CUVs dominate the market, they all share a similar silhouette. I wouldn't call many of them ugly, but nondescript is quite accurate.

My youngest daughter just bought a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid - not a plug-in, but one that powers the rear wheels with an electric motor that's powered by the gas motor.  There were three reasons for that choice:

1) It's faster than the gas model!  This was important because she and I both hate slow cars. Anything that move out faster than 7 seconds 0-60 usually doesn't interest us.

2) NO plug in required. The whole idea of plug in cars with today's electric-only driving ranges is a huge drawback.

3) Although it's faster than the gas model, it gets better mileage - over 40 on the highway. 

It's also a curious color called Lunar Rock, which looks, grey. green or blue depending on the light.  She has black wheels on it like this one.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 08:10:39 PM »
It's true. There are very few distinctively designed cars

"Distinctively designed" to look like something that's 50 years old. I love it.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 10:59:20 PM »
I'll stick with my 90's gasoline powered Toyota Hiace and save the world by never buying another car :)

If the whole world started to buy electric cars, there would be no more cobalt in the world and we'd all have to use ceramic pickups :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 05:11:23 AM »
It's a conspiracy then!