Author Topic: Powdercoating hardware  (Read 3393 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Powdercoating hardware
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
Anyone ever done it?  I know it's expensive to get done, unless you find someone doing a run in the color you want at the same time.

Just curious how it turned out for anyone who's tried it.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Powdercoating hardware
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:11:30 AM »
I think it has possibilities, like you said, it's nice if you can throw the pieces in with a larger order.  That's how I get the plating done on my tail pieces and such.  My problem with powder coating is I think that's how they did the black bridge on my 2005 TB.  It's simply paint over brass as far as I can tell.  It doesn't hold up well at all.  The first time I adjusted the bridge studs, it came off where the tool made contact with the slot.  Not a good result IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:49:33 AM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »
i was thinking of trying it on my brass plated bridge cover i got from greatdealz. the estimate was 15$ and the person that gave me the estimate told me they have different compounds with different characteristics = a hard surface paint that isn't very flexible but is very shiny and a softer one that is a little duller but that is flexible.

i know brass isn't very pourus and that might have a bit to do with it??? maybe bead blast it before hand or sand it?

he also told me it is coated with an electrolysis process then baked. BSOM (beats stuff outa me...for all i know about it) but i thought i would give it a try. chroming shops are getting few and far between.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 11:07:17 AM »
I'm going to check around to see what I can find locally.  With Thijs and his white Triumph, I got to thinking of my next project.   I'm debating doing a white Les Paul, and powdercoating the hardware a dark maroon or purple.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:29:45 PM »
hmmm, one last post b 4 i unplug the infernal machine.........how about a white one with purple hardware with a laminated white hard maple/purple heart/thin maple strip/purple heart/thin maple srtip/purple heart/hard maple neck with that body lordy knows what tints you could use to make it SEXY

maybe with the wood stripes showing on the front to the neck pup?
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:53:56 PM »
I've read some good comments somewhere or other about this company that sells powdercoating and plating kits: http://www.caswellplating.com/

Definitely not cheap for a single project but might be worth your while if you plan on doing several.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »
Thanks, Dave.  That looks really interesting.  If I move in that direction, I could actually do my own, and market to do small runs for others.     Hmmm...     8)

Rikkimax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 07:12:12 PM »
I recently bought a black powdercoated Three-Point Thunderbird Bridge Modification (that moves the silk string windings back off of the bridge saddles) from a guy named Evan Webb (webbteca2006@yahoo.com).  There is a description of the mod on Gibsonbass.com right next to the section on Scott's Badbird bridge.  Evan Webb might be willing to share info on how he got his black powdercoating done.  Best regards, Rikkimax
I got blistahs on ma fingahs !!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 04:51:34 AM »
I'd only do it if I could be sure it's gonna be durable.  I try to stay away from adjusting my black TB bridge, it's just not a good finish IMHO.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:40:52 AM »
Considering that the last estimate I got included a $150 setup fee, I may just look into that unit next year.  I even have a few items I can practice on.  If all goes well, I could have a little cottage industry started.  I looked at the color selections, and they do have red and purple.

Think Mark would be interested in purple hardware?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »
Well, I've been studying the Caswell site and I'm impressed if it does what they say it will.  I like the idea of electroless nickel and chrome plating.  I mean really, I could get into doing it myself for $75 - 85.  I'm gonna have to consider this option as I do have some things in need of a plating and my machinist is slower than Christmas these days because his main line work is burying him.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 07:35:38 PM »
Did you notice their forum? http://forum.caswellplating.com/ Note the members' photo galleries.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 07:41:54 PM »
Really cool stuff there.  I didn't notice anything in the way of guitar hardware.  I'm going to have to spend some time there.  I smell my next hobby on the horizon.  THANKS!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 04:33:03 AM »
I guess there is a forum for everything!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 05:30:05 AM »
After running the idea past my wife, she liked the idea.  I think that early in the next year, I'm going to go ahead and get one of the Caswell machines, and start myself a new little hobby.  If I get any good at it, I'll probably start doing small runs as a side business.  From what I saw, there wasn't anyone on the Caswell forums doing guitar parts.