Author Topic: Dumb questions  (Read 3161 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Dumb questions
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:36:38 AM »
Over the years I have always had my luthier do all of my mods, repairs and setups. More recently I've bought a few cheaper basses like the SX and a couple of Epiphones. So while I'm definitely not comfortable attacking my Fender with a screw driver I am ready to start learning a bit about this area myself.

Dumb question 1. What is the best (or worst) thing to get built up grime off a rosewood fingerboard?  (Do's and Don'ts is what I guess I need to know.

Thx
Digresion our specialty!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:36:48 AM »
I use naptha to clean a board then treat it with lemon oil or Dunlop's fret board conditioner.  The naptha won't soak in as it dries quickly and will cut through just about any grime.  Do not use water or soaps IMO.  Naptha will dry the board out a little, so an immediate oil treatment afterward is the way to go.  That's how I do it, I'm sure that are other ways folks here use.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:34:16 AM »
I use lemon oil & 0000 steel wool to clean my rosewood fingerboards.  I ususally tape off the pickups to prevent any dust from the steel wool finding it's way where it doesn't belong.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:12:01 AM »
I use lemon oil & 0000 steel wool to clean my rosewood fingerboards.  I ususally tape off the pickups to prevent any dust from the steel wool finding it's way where it doesn't belong.

I quit using steel wool because of the attraction to the magnets on the pups.  Good idea to tape them.

nofi

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:01:49 PM »
don't remove the crud. that's where the funk lives! ;)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:36:36 PM »
I use the naptha & lemon oil treatment too - works great.

I have a dumb question to add to the list:  I just bought an old Roland guitar, and it REEKED of mildew.  What is the safest way to get rid of this?  I actually lightly wiped the body (poly finish) with a bit of ammonia and it took care of most of the smell, but I doubt this is considered safe to use.  I still have to deal with the case too.  I'm planning to tear the guitar down soon and give it a good bath - so any better suggestions are appreciated.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:30:01 PM »
Chromium, I dont know how true this is but the guys in one of the Labs where I work tell me that the best thing to get rid of any fungus is acetic acid (Household Vinegar). They reckon that its actually "more effective" and less destructive than any of the Chlorine based (off the shelf) household cleaning agents that you buy from the shops claiming to kill mildew and the like.

I have tried this in my bathroom etc and it does seem to last longer between times than the "Products".
Digresion our specialty!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »
don't remove the crud. that's where the funk lives! ;)

Ahhh the ghost of Jamerson lives... ;D
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:13:32 PM »
I don't recommend household vinegar, it's not completely water-free. You want to avoid even a small amount of water creeping under the frets, it can cause swelling and loosening.

Use naphtha, WD40 or a guitar-specific fretboard cleaner... and whichever you choose, use it sparingly.

If you have gunk that needs loosening,there's a specialty tool that works well. It's called a toothbrush. Just be sure not to brush the cat's teeth with it after you've cleaned your bass.  ;)

FWIW, Zippo lighter fluid is 81% naphtha, at least in the US.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:19:07 PM by Dave W »

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 05:46:16 PM »
another vote for good ol' naptha for cleaning gunk & grime.  works great on finished or unfinished wood.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 07:01:48 AM »
My next dumb question is about my Epi Explorer.  Should I upgrade the electronics/wiring and if yes then should I use a set of 500k CTS pots?  What cap?
Digresion our specialty!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 07:05:13 AM »
I like CTS 500k pots with a .047 Orange Drop cap for humbuckers but other values might be ok, too.   big help, huh?  :P

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 09:06:12 AM »
I like CTS 500k pots with a .047 Orange Drop cap for humbuckers but other values might be ok, too.   big help, huh?  :P

I agree with ramone, but I use 500k pots for the volume and 250k for tone, same cap.  I think the 250k enhances a humbucker's tone and use this configuration on all of my builds.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 02:34:13 PM »
Thanks guys, what opinions do you have on wiring as far as the original Unsung factory stuff vs your personal preference? How much difference do you think it makes?

Also regarding Pickguards, I dont mind the White (W/B/W) that comes standard like this

but I do like this black one 

Any recommendations re how and where to get a black one from (or made)?

Digresion our specialty!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 03:24:16 PM »
the biggest difference I've noticed is that CTS pots tend to last quite a bit longer without getting all scratchy as cheaper components tend to do.  the original pots in my '72 EB-3 are still going strong, whereas I had to rewire my '95 Rivoli due to excessive noise.   the cheapies were ok as long as they were kept in one position but as soon as they got turned, it was scratch city.
for caps, I don't really know.  I have basses without Orange Drops and they sound good to me.  caps aren't very expensive and the Orange Drops have a good reputation, so that's what I buy.  since none of these components are expensive, I tend to lean towards the conventional wisdom.  I should add that I'm strictly an amateur.  any knowledge I seem to possess comes from trial and error experiments and from what I read on the net and in various magazines.

regarding pickguards, there's a bunch of places on the net that will make one for you, using the original as a template if they don't have a template already.  I got a new guard for my Ripper from Jeannie's and it was a pretty close fit (some of the screw holes weren't quite exact).  other folks have been very happy with their work, but I'm not sure if I would use them again.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:35:21 PM by ramone57 »