Author Topic: Christmas music gotcha....  (Read 460 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Christmas music gotcha....
« on: November 05, 2022, 10:49:08 AM »
My band has a mid-December gig and it's the first I've played with them in December.  My walking bass skills aren't that good, and I ran into a gotcha that I'm still working on.  You would think that most of the familiar Christmas tunes aren't tricky, but I found a surprise.

The old chestnut Rocking Around the Christmas Tree has a 16-measure "walking bass solo" and the key is G#, which is an unusual key for this band. That combination surprised me and has me on the defensive.  It will probably end up as a mix of one and two measure walks up and down but I'm working to extend them to something that
isn't too repetitive.

I hadn't played that tune before and didn't expect to run into a long bass solo, so I'm a bit behind on this one.  I have a practice with the band tomorrow and I'll need more work after that.

Here's one sample on YouTube:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas music gotcha....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 07:13:48 AM »
Interesting, I had never listened closely to the bass lines.

You can do it!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 09:30:44 AM »
I'm wondering if G# is the result of the studio cut bring sped up to give it a bit of an edge? Seems a random key for a song with a fairly banal structure. Not sure it would help the horn players out?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 12:00:36 PM »
I'm not sure why the band chose G#. There is no brass, just a 4-piece band. I may ask about that key today.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 12:38:28 PM »
Who needs G#?! Tune your bass to Eb Ab Db Gb and you can play it in 'A' !!! Isn't that what Kiss did for most of their career because Stanley preferred to sing in E and A a halfstep down?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 08:20:28 AM »
Lots of artist do/did that.
And as a result the band that I played in for 15 years also did that. Because we started out with covers of ZZTop, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Cry Of Love etc.
When we started (one by one) replacing the covers with originals we kept the half step down tuning.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 08:40:45 AM »
Short scale basses and half-step downtuning?! My, what a sissy you are, don't like calluses on your fingers or what?  :mrgreen:

I've been in half-step down bands too - for whatever reason I never really liked the feel of it. Admittedly though, that was at a time when I was only used to playing long (Kubicki Factor) and medium scale (Kramer XKB-10) basses. With my Rolling Stones tribute, I now even consciously recorded demos with a short scale bass (Les Paul Junior Tribute) which recorded great.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 09:06:13 AM »
The short scale and the half step down is the reason why I ended up using 50-115 gauge strings on all my basses. Anything thinner felt like chewing gum to me.
After Superfloor I've played in several other bands that did not tune down half a step. And I more often used long scale than short scale with these bands.
But I stuck to the 50-115 gauge because I like the string tension and the tone.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 09:53:52 AM »
I remember now, you use manly strings!

Short scale basses and half-step downtuning?! My, what a sissy you are, don't like calluses on your fingers or what?  :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 10:28:14 AM »
We just shifted the key to G.  The original was in G#, and we all agreed it was both easy and less brain damage to drop it to G.  That also makes it easier for me to work out some good walking stuff. 

Now I just need to work out the number.  I'll get there. 

A small change can sometimes make life easier. (Even when you play short scale a lot, as I do...)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2022, 12:55:03 PM »
Me and my big mouth. I have not endeared myself to the manly community of hobbit players.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 01:10:42 PM »
At least it isn't as bad as Denmark.  Some music stores put short scale basses in the children's section there. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 04:12:04 PM »
G# is a funny key. A harp player I know sometimes uses that key , and it generally feels a little strange. I usually have to walk through it.
I’m usually pretty relaxed , but in G# I’m suddenly really aware I’m in an odd key and find myself thinking more.