Author Topic: Lead Guitarists ...  (Read 583 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Lead Guitarists ...
« on: March 23, 2023, 07:12:09 PM »
Stumbled on this by coincidence. If you take an interest in varying lead guitar styles (as I do), this is a treasure trove. The guy knows what he is talking about.

https://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/alchemy/guitar
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 10:51:27 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Lead Guitarists ...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 10:45:45 PM »
I just saw this as I was about to go to bed.  But I did read his analysis of Hendrix.  That was outstanding.  Maybe the best I've seen.  Just these two paragraphs say quite a lot.  Great insight!

Rhythm guitar. From his funky rhythm work to the many different chords and voicings he popularized in rock, Jimi's rhythm style was probably even more influential than his lead style. Having played with bands like the Isleys and Ike and Tina Turner, Jimi brought authentic R&B and Soul rhythm stylings to rock guitar.

Lead guitar. He wasn't a technician like Clapton in Cream, or a proto-shredder like Blackmore, but Jimi certainly had the chops that were the equal of his 60s peers or better. He played with plenty of flash, attitude, emotion, and could be beautifully melodic.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 07:23:53 AM »
Nice find!  I'm just reading their section on Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.  The I-IV-V is one of my favorite things in music.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 09:50:41 AM »
Nice website. But somewhat outdated. He needs to update quite a few profiles.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 12:04:18 PM »
Perhaps he gave up at a certain point.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 04:13:32 PM »
How does he manage to omit both Paul Kossoff AND Mick Ralphs?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 08:40:23 AM »
I guess they don't qualify for what he defines as a "dinosaur", look here:

https://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/616

I liked Ralph's work with both Mott the Hoople (he was much more musical than Ariel Bender, if not as much of a showman) and Bad Co, but he never struck me as a guitar hero. Both MtH and BC were song-oriented bands and not really improvisational.

Kossoff more so, he had that tone and Free had more improvisational liberty, though Andy Fraser had some beef with him to grind as regards his rhythm playing and the rhythm/riff guitar on the studio version of Alright Now is reputedly played by Fraser because Kossoff just couldn't get it right.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 09:58:40 AM »

I liked Ralph's work with both Mott the Hoople (he was much more musical than Ariel Bender, if not as much of a showman) and Bad Co, but he never struck me as a guitar hero. Both MtH and BC were song-oriented bands and not really improvisational.

Kossoff more so, he had that tone and Free had more improvisational liberty, though Andy Fraser had some beef with him to grind as regards his rhythm playing and the rhythm/riff guitar on the studio version of Alright Now is reputedly played by Fraser because Kossoff just couldn't get it right.

You know, I can believe that, not to slag on Kos tho, I think he's brilliant/sloppy in Jimmy Page kind of way which was even a bit in style at the time.
 He makes a couple small doinks here but it's hardly worth noting as the band is on fire in way very few ever have been. Name another bassist songwriter that sits out at least the first minute before playing a note.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 10:55:07 AM »
The sickening thing is that the guys in Free were all about 15 in that video. Kos might be sloppy, but there isn't that mush in his playing that you hear in Page's playing. A lot more precise attack and vibrato.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 04:17:44 PM »

Yeah, I think his list of criteria is somewhat bullshit-ish and inconsistent. He makes a big deal about melody and vibrato, both of which Ralphs had in spades. Koss was the KING of vibrato. Brian May and Leslie West are in there, though, so the logic escapes me.
As I write this, it occurs to me that he also omitted Ted Nugent and Peter Frampton. Both can outplay some of the people on that list... I mean, Frank Hannon is a good player, but he really hasn't done anything legendary or iconic.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 07:56:45 PM »
He's good at describing and characterizing people's playing, whether you make the list or not, isn't that relevant to me. I would have certainly wanted to see Alvin Lee in there.