Author Topic: Auto safey then and now  (Read 3086 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Auto safey then and now
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
A couple of years old although I just saw it today.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Auto safey then and now
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »
The same vintage... ;D ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:48:34 AM »
i'd still rather have the '59  8)
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 05:58:39 AM »
Pretty graphic demonstration.  Unfortunate loss of a nice '59. 

This is also one reason that cars have gotten much heavier for their size - all the safety equipment has added considerably to the load.  But it's worth it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:51:15 AM »
Pretty graphic demonstration.  Unfortunate loss of a nice '59. 

This is also one reason that cars have gotten much heavier for their size - all the safety equipment has added considerably to the load.  But it's worth it.

It is worth it. The rate of fatalities per vehicle mile continues to go down. It's dropped about 35% in the last 15 years.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 07:06:30 AM »
the 59's right fender came off way to easily. didn't even look bolted on. the left fender and door sheared off easily also. the windshield came out in one piece as well as the sun visors. makes ya' think. i just remember the phony pick up truck explosions that someone (insurance co.)rigged several years ago.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:17:52 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:34:58 AM »
What's the point?  Look at that top view - both cars look pretty messed up.  Probably the best thing to do, no matter what kind of car your driving, is don't plow straight on into another vehicle.  :rolleyes:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:13:13 AM »
It is worth it. The rate of fatalities per vehicle mile continues to go down. It's dropped about 35% in the last 15 years.

Agreed!  Just pointing it out.  Increased efficiency and aerodynamics have more than compensated for the weight gain.

and yes, that '59 looked like it came apart.  I swear that in the slow-mo, there appeared to be a live person inside the new car.  Must have been a crash dummy.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »
the 59's right fender came off way to easily. didn't even look bolted on. the left fender and door sheared off easily also. the windshield came out in one piece as well as the sun visors. makes ya' think. i just remember the phony pick up truck explosions that someone (insurance co.)rigged several years ago.

That was Dateline NBC with the rigged tests, not an insurance company. This is the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, and it's the exact same test they've been using for 50 years to determine safety ratings -- well before the government was doing it. These tests were started way back so that member insurance companies would be able to base their premiums on which cars were expected to have more or less damage.

The lack of crumple zones, safety cages etc. is exactly why the old car couldn't stand up to the new one.

What's the point?  Look at that top view - both cars look pretty messed up.  Probably the best thing to do, no matter what kind of car your driving, is don't plow straight on into another vehicle.  :rolleyes:

The point is that the driver of the newer car would probably walk away with minor injuries while the driver of the older car would probably be killed instantly. Both cars are messed up, but the newer car protects the passenger much better. And the IIHS tests  are done this way because people do run into each other.

Maybe you don't want to know how crash-worthy your car is. That's fine with me, but I'd rather know.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
Wow!  Not surprised at the outcome at all.  In 1959 I doubt that any consideration to crash safety was really given in the design of vehicles.

I really make use of the IIHS website when I buy a vehicle and I tend to only consider something highly rated or the absolute highest rating.  It's how I settled on buying my daughter a Subaru Forester - highest safety rating, all wheel drive and high reliability.  

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 01:34:31 PM »
Collapsible steering columns didn't appear in American cars until the 1967 model year. A head-on collision in an older car would often send the steering column into the driver, steering wheel first. Yuck. Stuff like this is one of the two biggest reasons I don't own a vintage car any more. I still would like to have one though.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »
Keep the one you got... eventually it will be... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
Our guitarist recently had a head on crash with another car on a country road and walked away from it. So did the other guy and his 2 kids. The other guy veered onto Leo's side of the road as he was taking the corner too fast. Both were newish cars. Pretty amazing really.

Hey do they report the car crash death numbers in the US?

edit: found it.   33,808 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2009.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:13:32 PM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 09:55:50 AM »
That is exactly why I lease my Volvos and get a brandnew one every few years - car crash security develops. And I never really felt comfortable in Martina's Jag E, cool car that it was, I  knew I'd be dead if someone drove into me. Jag Es are appalling in crash tests. 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 06:57:11 AM »

I have no reason to doubt this.
I was around back then and saw, more than once, the results of this kind of collision. Those cars _did_ come apart that easily.

What I saw then that you don't see here is the blood all over the inside of the car.  I see that image to this day and it slows me down every time.

Denis: Yeah, that steering column . . .
Dyslexics untie!