Author Topic: Elevator surpise  (Read 3410 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Elevator surpise
« on: September 08, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Elevator surpise
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 01:10:25 AM »
I just saw that concert he did at Grand Central Station.  It turned out well.  Some superb song selections.  Promoting his new album with TV appearances and surprise concerts definitely makes sense.  No one has ever accused Paul McCartney of not promoting his career. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »
He still makes the ladies scream. Gotta hand it to him.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
From the looks of that Grand Central Station concert, he even still has some younger female fans.  At first, I was wondering how the concert would go because his voice was sounding tentative.  But as the concert progressed, his voice warmed up more than I might have expected.  He tried to explain that that "Fuh You" song wasn't really dirty.  But I'm not buying that explanation.  LOL.  Good try, though.  He has nothing to lose either way.  Just like he has nothing to lose playing concerts at age 76.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 08:09:48 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 10:50:11 PM »
He also has nothing to gain from continuing to play concerts but he does it anyway. He obviously loves it and loves making people happy.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »
It depends on the person.  Most people wouldn't still be doing it. Tim Bogert said he felt too old to be on stage after age 35. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 09:05:06 AM »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 09:08:38 AM »
Paul is a bad ping-pong player. One thing we have in common. That is a relief - I thought he did everything well.

Have the new CD here, will probably give it a spin tonight.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 12:15:53 AM »
This is a "Pitchfork" review of the album.  It gives more background on that song "Fuh You," among other things.  As it turns out, Paul didn't even like the song and considered it meaningless.  If I'm interpreting this correctly, what comes across as vulgar is more of a swipe at the producer he wrote the song with than anything else.  There was another producer for all the other songs.  Of course, this review would make more sense if I could be listening to the album (something I probably need to do.) 

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/paul-mccartney-egypt-station/

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 07:44:53 AM »
I'm listening to it now, it's - surprise! - catchy in a mellow way.  :) His voice has nicely darkened and the lyrics are crystal-clear as always. Organic production.

I don't know why people get so worked up about Fuh You - what age do we live in, there is more explicit stuff on any rap record B side our children listen to, you just can't hear it as well. Granted, wanting to fuh someone is a simple sentiment, but timeless in its own way. And Macca pulls it off without sounding mean or obscene. Musically, the song would do well as a single with any boy group or, say, James Blunt/Robbie Williams. It's atypical for the largely folky album - folky in a way George Harrison albums often were -, written and produced to be a modern hit. But Paul won't be able to do all those mandatory dance routines so it will probably not go very far.

Drum sound could be from Jeff Lynne.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:51:26 AM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »
I hearken back to the Mothers of Invention and that dignified classic "I feel like homemade s***" from the 60's. And that band so highly regarded for rectitude and dignity, the Fugs, from the same era.

Ho. (see also:) Hum.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 12:39:03 PM »
I think I might be more interested in this album than the typical music by Wings.  That got too lightweight for me.  There was as concert in the late 70s, though, that they used to show a lot of TV.  A Wings concert in America.  Denny Laine was in the band then.  The sound Paul was getting out of his Rickenbacker sounded very good.  I know Denny Laine quit when Paul stopped touring for a while after John Lennon's death.  But I never kept up with Wings very much.  I used to know someone a while back who liked 70s music and disco a lot who liked Wings.  Somehow disco or pop music in general just never quite did it for me. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 06:36:19 AM »
The Wings had light and shade/cringe and value. Band on the Run is still Paul's way best work outside of The Fab Four (unfortunate circumstances spawned creativity in that case), Wings Over America as you mentioned one hell of a live album with a band at its peak.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 06:56:07 AM »
Wings Over America as you mentioned one hell of a live album with a band at its peak.

Absolutely, positively. It also served as a bass lesson on vinyl when I started playing in the summer of '77.  :toast:

I've been seeing a lot of good reviews of Paul's new album. Getting tempted to pick it up, but I'm afraid it will be one of those "listen 3 times and never again" records.