Author Topic: Olympics Closing Ceremony basses  (Read 13948 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Olympics Closing Ceremony basses
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »
"The Two" are within their rights to keep using the name "the Who" if they want. After all, the only things missing are the rhythm section and Daltrey's voice.  :P

:mrgreen:

The rhythm section is the only thing left. No voice (Daltrey), no symphonic orchestra (Moon) and no lead guitar (JAE). But I still enjoyed it.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
And just to clarify - I'm not trying to be mean to Daltrey, it's just a simple fact that he can't sing like a man in his 20s or 30s anymore. Robert Plant did the right thing - twice - First by ending Zeppelin when Bonham died, and then by refusing to do a reunion tour and choosing to sing music that is more suited to his voice as it is today.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 07:58:39 PM »
Voices do age.  McCartney's voice at the Olympics was definitely showing less stability and pitch than a few years ago.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 10:28:14 PM »
And just to clarify - I'm not trying to be mean to Daltrey, it's just a simple fact that he can't sing like a man in his 20s or 30s anymore. Robert Plant did the right thing - twice - First by ending Zeppelin when Bonham died, and then by refusing to do a reunion tour and choosing to sing music that is more suited to his voice as it is today.

I'm gonna go see the Quadrophenia tour... with the expectation that it'll sound absolutely nothing like it used to.
(They're probably going to have to do a combination of transposing and modifying melodies just to be able to make any vocal sound at all... some of those songs are HIGH)

On the "Wire & Glass" tour, I enjoyed Roger's voice the most on the newer songs... he sounded great on "Tea & Theater", which was written to be sung by a 60-year-old Daltrey, not a 20-year-old Daltrey.

I still like 'em.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 05:22:23 PM »
Voices do age.  McCartney's voice at the Olympics was definitely showing less stability and pitch than a few years ago.

It might have been an off day plus the acoustics must have been horrible for the performers - Liam Gallagher (by now live hardly ever off key, I've seen him twice) was abysmal. The Spice Girls were struggling, not that they were ever very good singers in the first place. I saw Macca two years ago and he was vocally fine, even on the more demanding stuff.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:22 PM »
There was also the Arctic Monkeys doing Come Together in the opening ceremony - the lead singer was almost a half step flat.  That kind of thing usually suggests horrible monitor problems, which are apparently pretty common at these big multi-artist events...
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »
I'm gonna go see the Quadrophenia tour... with the expectation that it'll sound absolutely nothing like it used to.
(They're probably going to have to do a combination of transposing and modifying melodies just to be able to make any vocal sound at all... some of those songs are HIGH)

I'm debating.  I really want to go, just not to be disappointed, and also, I have never really listened to that album...it's one part of the Who's work I have missed.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
I saw the last tour.  I enjoyed the show but it was really kind of sad thing.  They had been on the road for months on end and Daltreys voice was just plain gone and Pino plain out underwhelmed me.  Pete still played the same but the windmills were a little strained - his voice was strained as well.

Contrast that show to the last time I saw them in 1980 and it was night and day - they just killed.  Quadorphenia is one my favorite albums - I'm torn as to spend the money or not.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »
I've never been a big Who fan, but there are a lot of songs I do like.  Live at Leeds is also one of the best live albums I ever had.  I recall a Townshend quote a few years back, if you can believe him, that was basically the idea that people were determined to make him wealthy by insisting on them continuing to play.  That may have been in reference to the Broadway version of Tommy.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 03:10:50 PM »
I was lucky enough to have seen them 1st time round; it would just ruin the memory for me...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 10:57:19 AM »
It might have been an off day plus the acoustics must have been horrible for the performers - Liam Gallagher (by now live hardly ever off key, I've seen him twice) was abysmal. The Spice Girls were struggling, not that they were ever very good singers in the first place. I saw Macca two years ago and he was vocally fine, even on the more demanding stuff.

I am reminded of George Harrison's comment which was something to the effect that one advantage to the Spice Girls is that they were just as enjoyable with the volume turned off as on. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »
I am reminded of George Harrison's comment which was something to the effect that one advantage to the Spice Girls is that they were just as enjoyable with the volume turned off as on. 

I also noticed that during the closing ceremonies.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »
I beg to differ... the best way to enjoy them is watching a different channel to the one they're on... :puke:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 08:16:22 AM »
I found that Ginger rather enjoyable. (Yes, I had to utilize Google to find their names...)  ;)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »
I beg to differ... the best way to enjoy them is watching a different channel to the one they're on... :puke:

I'll have to admit I never paid much attention to them.  It seemed to me that in the late 90s they were like a novelty act which mostly appealed to 12 year old girls.  Add to that the "What You Really Want" song or whatever it was called, which was impossible to take seriously. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal