Author Topic: Ice storms - USA weather reporting  (Read 3021 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Ice storms - USA weather reporting
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:28 AM »
We have two seasons in upstate NY.  Winter and 4th. Of July.  Nothing new here.  If it weren't for crisis mongering, the media would lost.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 09:03:13 AM »
I was actually a bit disappointed because I was hoping the storm would take one of our nuisance trees (Manatoba Maple; not a real maple in that it's not hardwood and therefore one of the few species they let you cut down, after a long tedious process, as it tends to drop branches on power lines if you look at it funny), but as we park our car under it it's probably for the best. 

We have a silver maple next to our driveway.  That stupid thing must be 70 feet tall and it provides shade, but it's notable for shedding limbs.  I think it has cost me more than $1000 in body work on various cars.  We finally worked out a parking pattern that prevents any car from EVER being parked under its branches.  Too dangerous.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »
....  If it weren't for crisis mongering, the media would lost.

You got that right. The local weather cretins keep saying it's a "historic" cold wave. In fact, that -23F was just the lowest temp since 2004. No big deal. We've seen a lot colder.

Now that a warmup is coming, they're on to hyping the coming flu crisis, which is no different from last year's dire warnings.

Meanwhile, the national media is yammering endlessly about the "polar vortex."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 11:23:20 AM »
And another thing: the average temperature for any given day is just a mathematical average. It's NOT "where we should be." No, we're not "supposed to be" in the low 20s, it's nothing more than a math calculation. They're fixated on averages, and whenever we're below it in the winter or above it in the summer, they're pissing and moaning about how much colder or hotter it is than where we're allegedly supposed to be. OTOH if we have a warm winter like a couple of years ago, they never tell us that we need to get the temps down.

At least the snow here so far has been average. That spares us from all the sob stories about how winter seasonal businesses are suffering from too little or too much snow.  :rolleyes:

LoEndMaestro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 11:50:17 AM »
"Moscow in flames, missiles headed to New York, film at eleven."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »
All I know is that every year when I was younger had Winter, and it was pretty much the exact same weather we've seen this week.  We didn't need a weatherman showing off his degree to figure out that coats, boots, hats and gloves were needed to go outside.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 01:27:54 PM »
I nominate "Polar Vortex" for the next band name!   :P
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »
weather has been brutal so far in the northeast.  I have been offline for a while with computer and holiday issues.  ANYWAY a happy and HEALTHY to all the LBO gang.   

Jim
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »
I nominate "Polar Vortex" for the next band name!   :P

I was already in a band called Pacific Trash Vortex, so that's off the table for me.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »
(sorry Dave) ;D

Thames has burst it's banks in several places and numerous road closures today... a freeze would be beneficial for us...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 04:56:53 PM »
I was already in a band called Pacific Trash Vortex, so that's off the table for me.

Hey! That's what I call my house  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 05:55:16 PM »

Hey! That's what I call my house  ;)

More likely the Subaru after a gig...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 06:52:04 PM »
We have two seasons in upstate NY.  Winter and 4th. Of July.  Nothing new here.  If it weren't for crisis mongering, the media would lost.

No shite!  If I had a dollar for every time I got snowed in and couldn't leave Binghamton I would be buying a new bass right now!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
More likely the Subaru after a gig...

True, except it smells kinda funky.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 05:36:58 AM »
All I know is that every year when I was younger had Winter, and it was pretty much the exact same weather we've seen this week.  We didn't need a weatherman showing off his degree to figure out that coats, boots, hats and gloves were needed to go outside.

yeah, with a -40 below wind chill I was able to figure out all by myself that this would be a bad day for shorts and a t shirt 8).
Rick