Author Topic: In our Continuing Series: The Decline of Western Civilization ...  (Read 8817 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: In our Continuing Series: The Decline of Western Civilization ...
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »
All those androgynous hair metallists were really amateurs when it comes to decadence and contributing actively to the decline of Western Civilization, this is how it's properly done: This weekend's Eurovison winner ... Conchita Wurst ...

In the meanwhile the number two of the Eurovision song contest is number one in the hit parades of 14 European countries.
Half of the Netherlands dismissed the song beforehand, because it wasn't sensational enough, no real climax, no bla bla etc

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »
I ran across a comment about this in reading about something else several days ago.  But not knowing any of the details, it didn't quite make sense to me.  I still don't quite know exactly what happened.  All I could gather is that Ilse DeLange and Waylon are being treated with some kind of disrespect (it appears,) but I don't know if this is something personal or just has to do with people not liking that song enough. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2014, 11:26:52 PM »
It's not that they have anything against Ilse and/or Waylon. It's more that a lot of fellow Dutchmen have preconceived dogmatic ideas about how a song for the Songcontest should sound like.  :o

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2014, 09:27:55 AM »

In the meanwhile the number two of the Eurovision song contest is number one in the hit parades of 14 European countries.
Half of the Netherlands dismissed the song beforehand, because it wasn't sensational enough, no real climax, no bla bla etc

It's a nice song, but I understand why people had qualms about it. It's overtly C&W/New Country and in the past stuff like that has bombed if people in national juries and the viewers felt that it was not the "real thing" because the country in question was not really known for that type of music. The German C&W/New Country entry from a couple of years (2006) bombed terribly though it was a well-crafted and catchy, uplifting tune, everybody (in Germany at least) expected great things from it.

There is a rule for Eurovision winners in general: It's either the big melodramatic musical-type ballad or something extremely catchy, uplifting and fun to watch:

Everybody knew those Swedes would win 5 seconds into their song:

And it was the same thing with these Dutchmen here:

Not to mention these Brits and their contribution to impromptu changing skirt fashions:

There are exceptions to the rule of course, but to many contestants "big ballad" and "catchy happy tune presented in a fresh way by a boy/girl group" are still regarded as safe bets.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2014, 10:25:42 AM »

I don't watch American Idol, but this year at least had this fellow singing some rock, earlier in the season he did a good cover of "Working Man"
by Rush.....

Covering Coverdale!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2014, 12:22:32 PM »
I never liked that song with its drawing by numbers overt Zeppelinisms (even Kingdom Come had some shame and left guitar bow impressions out of their vids), but it's hard to sing and he does a credible job at it.

It ain't the same though unless stockings-attired and blindfolded B-movie actrices roll around on a fur on the sofa while it is being played.

That vid was so cringeworthy already in 1987 - as a Purplite I felt ashamed for the "unknown young boutique salesman from Redcar".  He was in his mid-thirties when this happened, so no excuses because of youth or inexperience either ... To add insult to injury, not a single one of these posers (Coverdale excepted) had played/sung on the track or the album. In comparison, these guys here were icons of credibility:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
In comparison, these guys here were icons of credibility

Great performance.
Excellent musicianship.
But their stylist didn't do them any favors   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2014, 12:51:16 PM »

And he can elevate with his work even - sorry, George! - mediocre singers ...

No need to be sorry.  I've never claimed Vince was a great or even good singer. There are singers, and there are frontmen, and Vince never completely dominated as either one (in my book), but he fit perfectly with whatever chemistry made Motley work as well as they did, being sometimes a good but rarely a great band. When I first saw them he was still more a surf/stoner dude with a bleach job, and that laid back attitude worked well with the whole package. My favorite Motley Crue was more like a heavier Cheap Trick than a metal band, and Vince was more a laid back DLR than anything else.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Bucks Fizz... :-\

Come on, we've had some class material in that competition... here's our winners from '67 and '69...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
I preferred Sandie!!! Lulu's songwriter stole from Mary Poppins!

But Pet beat them all:

Yanks get a honorary mention, girls singing about "silver spurs to pass the time" are always a good thing:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:58:40 PM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
I hadn't realized it before, but "Summer Wine" was the "Milkshake" of its time.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2014, 04:49:21 PM »
I always thought lecherous Lee was on about something nasty! So you can actually drink it?