Author Topic: Harmony  (Read 9262 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Harmony
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:53:06 AM »
Ow, shit. i just fell in love with the new Harmony basses :'(  They make the Ronnie 'Plonk' Lane and Mervin 'Muff' Winwood model.

Anyone any news about prices??

http://harmonyguitars.com/

http://harmonyguitars.com/ProductLine.asp?pl=vintage&pid=0400934D0F956FDDC282AD307C87E5585F3D20A523549550

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Harmony
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:21:02 PM »
I love the look of these RIs, very retro and quite attractive.  I heard the bass will have a street price a round $900 which could be a problem for mass sales.  We'll see.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/H22GS.htm
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:03:57 PM »
Elderly's price doesn't surprise me based on unconfirmed reports I had heard. But will they sell at that price? Last time I checked (last year), used originals weren't that high.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 08:38:57 PM »
Vintage mania running amok.  I had new tuning keys put on one of the originals for a friend of mine a few years back.  Some of these old basses really aren't worth doing the RI.  Danelectro probably has it right - put them back out at an affordable price.  They are what they are, and always were.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 11:17:41 PM »
Wow - that price seems a bit optimistic.  There was a recent (probably Korean or China-made) Holiday AL9224 (looked the same as the H22) up on ebay not too long ago.  Seller said it was a prototype for a possible reissue.  I think it got bid up to $300 USD.  New, I'd expect something like these to sit more in the $500-ish range at the most. 

Looks like you could get a vintage H22 for ~$900 - maybe less, as this one didn't sell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Harmony-H22-hollow-body-bass_W0QQitemZ270221122654QQihZ017QQcategoryZ118984QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:27:08 AM »
The modern Harmonies are made in Korea.

Like Macca's Höfner, Harmony was also a quite cheap brand if I'm correct. Of course they have a name because of Muff, Plonk and the very recognizable triangular pickguard. I like the later version with no pickguard and Fender-ish headstock better. Ronnie Lane used one too. That one's now in possession of ex-OCS bass player Damon Minchella. Plonks (ex-?) wife gave it to him.
Nowadays he plays with Paul Weller and he did the The Who gig at Live8. I saw him sometimes with this Harmny with Weller and he recorded a lot of OCS songs with it. In several interviews he quoted he didn't used it live anymore because of its fragility and the flimsy tuners. So a reissue can be nice and better, imho.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 07:12:49 AM »
Yes, the whole Harmony line was cheap. Despite that, a number of people have gigged with them over the years.

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 12:33:28 PM »
Very nice. I'd give them a playing. Might be a nice Upgrade from my Ibanez acoustic (It might even be useful/unique for recording with). but as mentioned, that is a moderately expensive price.

Like their bass amp too. Going to mention that over in the small amp forum post... thing. =)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 04:00:15 PM »
Yeah, I've been wanting a vintage looking practice amp, maube they will be worth a spin.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 08:48:06 AM »
Here's my 66 H-22.  I love this old thing!  It now sports a repro batwing pickguard.  Looks cool, man!   :P

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »
Cool! If you ever wanna get rid of it....

I have some more info about Harmony. I'll post it soon!

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 08:10:39 AM »
I had a nice H-22 for several years and played a few gigs with it.  Very woody and thumpy, though the neck had a sticky feel and was flexible (for some fun special effects).  I sold it for decent money to the bassist touring with a vintage act, so it found a good home.  I also have a brochure from the Chicago factory that I sent away for in the mid 60's.
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 08:20:55 AM »
You can hear a vintage H-22 here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bAEWfYQVFw8

They don't cut through like a long scale solidbody but they're excellent for playing underneath the melody.

ballent

• View Profile
    • The Soul Searchers
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 10:29:13 AM »
I know the H-22 very well.  Here is mine circa 1965.  Lord, I wish I still had that thing!  I traded it in on a Hofner Club bass.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 12:02:21 PM »
Love the specs!

have you sen the new Club Basses by Höfner? There's a veru expensive CS one, a normal expensive one and a real good Chinese version.

Check all the Small faces videos for the two different Ronnie Lane Harmonies.