Author Topic: 59 Hofner bass  (Read 1910 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
59 Hofner bass
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »
I dont know much about these kinds of basses but figured a few of you chaps might be interested (from a talking point of view) in having a look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290310350117&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: 59 Hofner bass
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »
Nice! I always love big bodied basses and the best looking and sounding Höfners, IMHO, are the ones with the pick ups close together.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:54:00 AM »
Now I know where Alan Woody got his inspiration for the Rumblekat!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:11:47 AM »
heh, yeah I didn't think about those pups and their position when I posted this but you are dead right.
Digresion our specialty!

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:57:10 AM »
This is a 500/5, also known as a Senator Bass. Stu Sutcliffe used one during his time with The Beatles. Stu's bass was a 58-59. You can tell because it had Hofner's Type 1 pickups in it. The 500/5 above has Hofner's Type 2 pickups in it, which would have it being made between 60-61.

In March, Hofner introduced their re-issue 500/1v58 at the Musikmesse show in Germany. It has their new Type 1 re-issue pickups in it along with the oval control panel and is a very nice bass. And yes both pickups on the 500/1v58 are positioned as shown in the photo above (of the 500/5).

TD
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:33:37 AM by thornton davis »
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »
I guess he can be forgiven for not knowing it's a 60-61, but sellers like this really irritate me. "Even could be a special design for a special order at the time." -- yeah, right. "it will need tender loving care to bring it up to its former glory." -- okay, where's the explanation of any problems? And instead of setting a reserve, he'll pull it if he doesn't get what he wants. Jerk.

Rocker949

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 01:47:09 PM »
Now I know where Alan Woody got his inspiration for the Rumblekat!

I had read somewhere that Allen Woody came up with the Rumblekat design because he was inspired by the EB-1 and EB-O.  This has never made sense to me since it doesn't look like either one, although I did once read an article which compared the sound of the RumbleKat to an EB-O.  As far as looks, it does look more like that Hofner. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »
Remember, the Hofner violin basses of this era also had the two closely spaced pickups.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
Yep, and over the years there where some reissues too of the violin bass with this pick up configuration. One of Macca's Höfners had it.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 06:55:53 AM »
I had read somewhere that Allen Woody came up with the Rumblekat design because he was inspired by the EB-1 and EB-O.  This has never made sense to me since it doesn't look like either one, although I did once read an article which compared the sound of the RumbleKat to an EB-O.  As far as looks, it does look more like that Hofner. 

I always associated the Rumblekat more with the EB-2/Rivoli, mixed with a Hofner...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 09:37:11 AM »
The only slight comment I will make to Jon's comment above is that I think that is a President not a Senator Hofner. The President's distinguishing charateristics were the floral motive headstock, dual pearloid postion markers on the fretboard and 2 pickups whereas the Senators were one pickup and no floral headstock and regular pearloid position markers. I love the larger bodied Hofners. A true hollow bodied bass. Watchout for feedback! One thing I'v often wondered if one were to drill out some f holes in the Hofner 500/1 or 500/2's if you might get that Klira sound...? To me the Klira always had that slighter hollow sound not necessarily better but different. I realize about the pickup differences but they were ever so slight as well.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »
Don't know anything about this type of bass but sure needs some TLC...

Is that a crack or a scratch in the back of the body...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...