Author Topic: A Butchered Aria bass  (Read 1614 times)

Blazer

A Butchered Aria bass
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »
I saw these guys a few weeks ago and when that Bass player got out his bass I went "Oh my GOD what did you do with that poor bass?" He laughed at that.

Rocker949

Re: A Butchered Aria bass
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 02:42:37 PM »
That makes the De Armond Ashbory look like a beauty.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 03:35:11 PM »
In the '70s and the '80s, there were a LOT of interesting things that people did to basses.  I remember that a lot of people were modding old Fenders a lot.  Jazz necks on Precisions was a popular thing to do.  I remember a band called The Boyzz - Dave Angell had a '64 Jazz bass that he not only added a pickup to, but redid all the electronics, and refinned it flat black.  It was an awesome sounding bass, though.  I was on the milder side - my '64 Precision already had a crap refin on it (you could actually peel the charcoal gray finish off with your fingernail), and I dropped a Bart in it, and put a BadAss II on it.  Best thing I ever did for that bass.  It had a perfect neck, though.

I remember in high school, my friends and I went to the local music store.  There was a '56 LP Junior there.  The owner (this was a mom/pop sheet music type store) tried to sell it to our guitarist, a leftie.  When Jeff told him he was left-handed, the owner just said, "Hell, we'll just cut out that other side for you".
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Rocker949

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »
I'd love to have a 56 LP Jr in great shape so I could sell it, get a bass I really wanted, and still have plenty left over.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 05:57:43 AM »
Looks very Micheal Manring.

If it works for him, God bless him.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 06:09:35 PM »
Anyone remember Mr Lee's teardrop blue precision that he used to use for encores in the 70's...?

... and I'd better lie low on this one, in case Uwe catches me spreading dissension in the ranks...

Uwe, you can trust me, ma bouy, I'm a reformed man... (in my best hand ringing Topol inpersenation...)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 04:02:34 PM by Kenny-Murdo' »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Blazer

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 07:07:18 PM »
Anyone remember Mr Lee's teardrop blue precision that he used to use for encores in the 70's...?

I read enough things about that bass but I never saw a picture or footage of Geddy using that bass, so please show pictures.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »
Wouter, I may have a (not very good) pic in the neg box from their 1st or 2nd UK tour (77/78 - too far back for decent shots)... rather surprised I could not find a pic readily available on line... it was a blue and white Precision cut into a teardrop shape and the head was also cut, placing a machine head on the lower edge, a-la-Musicman... She can be seen on the cover of the ATWAS double with the triple gatefold so if worst comes I can always scan that one, but as it is buried in the loft (long since replaced with a CD but it was my first Rush so never parted with it...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 11:43:17 PM »
I'm more shocked by the guy playing without a shirt than the bass;)