Author Topic: Basses with a bad reputation attached.  (Read 7567 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Basses with a bad reputation attached.
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 07:21:53 PM »
What kind of shallow silliness associates a particular brand of bass with a style of music?   Pointy shred-shaped Jacksons et. al., maybe, but but Warwick?  Having never paid attention to anything metal at all excpet a bit of Metallica and Ozzy, I think of Jack Bruce when I think of Warwick.  And the guy who used to play for Shania Twain, and some British neo-funk kind of band (Jamaroqui maybe?).

No, basses with "bad reputations" to me would be like Gibson's long-scale EB-3, most Peavey basses.  Those instrumens are good, but they have a reputation for not being good.  OK, the Peavey T-40 weighed a ton and was an oversized gutiar isntead of a bass design.  But the original Fury, Foundations, the great Jeff Berlin Palladium, and the Cirrus basses are very good basses.  So were the RJ-4, the Dyna Bass, and the Unity Series basses.   

But they ain't hip, some of them didn't look very attractive, and the "Peavey" name on them made/makes people dismiss them for reasons other than their sound, utility, quality of construction, etc.

jte

I pretty much agree with you jte, BUT!

I just cant imagine Phil Lesh playing this

Mind you, I cant imagine Uwe in spandex either and its his so................        
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:13:37 AM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 01:03:47 AM »
That Dean bass looks so good I almost don't care how it sounds. It's like something a superhero would play.

(we need an emoticon for "I'm serious")
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 04:22:18 AM »
It's like something a superhero would play.

then it's perfect for Uwe!    ;D

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 08:09:52 AM »
 ;D

At the moment I'm reviewing a Eastwood Airline Bass. It isn't that well sounding, it's hard to play with four volume/tone controls right above the pick ups, but what the f*Ck. It's just a great and mean looking bass!!!!

Blazer

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 05:45:18 PM »
;D

At the moment I'm reviewing a Eastwood Airline Bass. It isn't that well sounding, it's hard to play with four volume/tone controls right above the pick ups, but what the f*Ck. It's just a great and mean looking bass!!!!

You probably need to put some flatwounds on it, to really get the MOJO of such a bass going. Short scale basses with that typical rubbery feel work the best with flatwounds.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2008, 05:53:51 AM »
Hmmm... I miss some clarity, which will be even worse with flatwounds I guess.

I posted this a while ago in another thread: I used flatwouds on my T-bird and the tone just died (Ask Basvarken), I used a flatwound P with flatwounds which was okay, but not that great.

A while ago I changed the strings of my Shadows Bass to normal roundwounds, while Burns UK advices to use flats. Man! That bass came to live immediately!! What a bass!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 03:47:17 PM »
If you're mssing clarity, flatwounds sure won't get you closer.