Author Topic: When Band Members Get Fired  (Read 875 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: When Band Members Get Fired
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 12:27:17 PM »
This video seems to be the only one on You Tube which attempts to actually provide all the facts.  This guy said he has been following Jen for years.  He said he has sent her a few comments and she has always responded.  If someone, for instance, suggested that she might want to audition for a band like Cobra Spell, there is even the possibility that she would look into it.  From what I've heard, she is pausing things right now.  Personally, though, it's my opinion she might not want to wait too long.

This video got some interesting comments.  A few agreed, but some were pretty hostile.  One girl said that the only accurate thing in the video were the names and that the video should be deleted.  However, I agree with everything that was in it. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 12:56:56 PM »
Don't forget Riverdogs!
One of my favorite bands of the nineties. With dear friend Rob Lamothe.

That wasn't a proper money earning job and you know it!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 01:16:11 PM »
That is correct.
But ten times more fun than Def Leppard (or Whitesnake)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 02:35:49 PM by Basvarken »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 02:04:21 PM »
I think playing with Def Leppard is a lot more fun than working in Whitesnake. The Leps are a cohesive unit with only two changes in more than forty years - one departure due to alcoholism, one due to death (due to alcoholism and other drugs).

The Leps continued with a one-armed drummer, Covedale let go of a guitarist (Mel Galley) because he couldn't stand the look of the latter's arm brace after a complicated break ("You'll look like a spastic!").

I guess that is the difference between playing in a real band and David Coverdale's Whitesnake.

The new Leppard album is actually quite good (I know it wouldn't be "black enough" for you***), I like that 60ies/70ies English pop influence they have in their music, Beatles, T. Rex, Mott the Hoople and all that.

*** But maybe this is?  :mrgreen:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2022, 02:41:15 PM »
Never quite understood what keeps Vivian Campbell in Def Leppard so long. Doomed to forever playing second fiddle. And to hear Joe Elliott struggle each night must be no sinecure either.
I guess it pays the mortgage.

I saw him with Last In Line a couple of years ago. He was visibly enjoying that very much.
Impressive guitar player.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 03:24:23 PM »
I've heard the new album is good.  Just my personal opinion, but I've always felt Def Leppard was a little underrated.  There seems to be a second-tier category they're boxed into.  There aren't that many bands that captured the spirit of the 80s as well as Def Leppard did.  This is one of those songs I never completely get tired of listening to. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2022, 12:35:00 PM »
Never quite understood what keeps Vivian Campbell in Def Leppard so long. Doomed to forever playing second fiddle.

I toured with them in the early noughties, he has to play all Steve Clark's parts note for note, the only time he's allowed off the leash is the last 8 bars of Love bites, in a 7 month tour I don't think he ever played the same thing twice.

Ive told this story before , the rest of the band don't soundcheck, their techs  line check, then Vivian comes on the stage and uses the whole alloted time to play the most amazing slow blues just for the hell of it.

easily the second best guitarist Ive worked with.

I've heard the new album is good.  Just my personal opinion, but I've always felt Def Leppard was a little underrated.  There seems to be a second-tier category they're boxed into. 

I found the opposite. here in blighty they're not really taken seriously, but in america people literally say Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and Def Leppard.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2022, 02:05:56 PM »
Yes, I had encountered the attitude in the UK in which DL wasn't highly regarded.  All in all, though, not too much attention is given to them in the U.S., either.  Certainly, they aren't put on the same level as the Stones and Led Zeppelin, IMO.  I liked the music of the early Stones, but always thought Led Zeppelin was overrated.  I was never really a LZ fan.  I was a Stones fan briefly, then got disillusioned.  I've always been a casual Def Leppard fan, though, and at least bought a few of their albums. 

I might add that to an extent Mick Jagger, Joe Elliott, and Robert Plant all have problematic voices.  But when all three were in their prime, I would have actually preferred sounding like Joe Elliott than the other two.  But I'm speaking about the past, not the present.  Mick Jagger and Robert Plant have withstood the test of time fairly well--at least when it comes to vocals. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 11:05:52 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2022, 08:56:51 AM »
To me, they've never bettered the Pyromania album, but the new album is nicely varied and they have their own distinctive sound that is US-airwaves-friendly, yet retains Brit grit. Joe Elliott was never a great singer, but he was fine for the Lep sound and his voice hasn't deteriorated awfully.

I like his little Mott the Hoople/Ian Hunter tribute side projet, he's a great 'Unter fan (who was never the greatest singer either, nor claimed he to be) ...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 09:02:40 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2022, 11:55:24 AM »

They really were in fine form when they did this song.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2022, 01:38:10 PM »
That song is life-affirmingly dumb in a good way. I've always loved it.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2022, 02:55:52 PM »
Even Joe Elliott said the song was ridiculous.  But I think it's intentionally mindless and meant to be something to appeal to stadium crowds I suppose.  That part at the first which kind of sounds like German to someone who doesn't know German possibly sounds absurd to German speakers or at least to some of them. 

Another thing is that Def Leppard seem to be doing their music for fun.  They're not overrating themselves.  They're not taking themselves too seriously.  It's a pity the same can't be said for so many other bands. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 03:22:01 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal