Author Topic: Your top five prog rock albums  (Read 1577 times)

Blazer

Your top five prog rock albums
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »
Okay, I guess we all are musicians who can enjoy music with an edge, music that showcases the skill of the players. So let's all share our favorite prog rock albums.

In random order.

1. Pink Floyd "Dark side of the moon"
Obvious one, I know but I love it, one of the very few albums I can listen in full without the notion to skip a track. David Gilmour is an awesome player but don't forget Rick Wright, nothing less but sublime keyboard passages and unusual chords, such as the one in "Breathe" where they modulate from G to E minor that chord played in between, a very weird but cool chord.

2. Genesis "Selling england by the pound"
In my opinion the ultimate expression of Genesis during the Peter Gabriel era, killer songs like "Dancing with the moonlit knight", "I know what I like", "Firth of fifth" and of course "Cinema show" I recently found out that Mike Rutherford has a really strange tuning on his Rickenbacker electric twelve string (from low to high: F#F#-AA-DD-F#F#-F#F#-F#F#) which explains the droning etherial quality of his rythm work. I also love Steve Hackett's solos on this record, he's an amazing player who really should be there with the greats.

3. Focus "Moving waves"
With Focus it's really the jazz element that does it for me. "Eruption" is no matter how you put it, a Jazz song, the long solos over a repeated theme and the the whole feel is just so jazzy. But Keyboard player Thijs Van Leer also comes from the Dutch cabaret and that also plays a BIG role in the resulting sound on this album, and was the calling card of Focus, the influence of Dutch cabaret masters like Louis Davis and Wim Sonneveld was uniquely theirs.

4. Genesis "A trick of the tail"
If "Selling England by the pound" was the ultimate Gabriel fronted Genesis album then this must be the ultimate Phil Collins fronted Genesis album. Again it has killer tracks employing that strange tuning of Rutherford's on tunes like "Squonk" and "Dance on a volcano" but you can also hear how easy it was for the musicians to come up with it. The spontainity is evident on all tracks and you could amost imagine them jamming and coming up with the riff to "Squonk" and going "Blimey, that sounds good, can you play it again?"

5. Rush "Exit stage left"
Let's be honest, Rush is the ultimate power trio. And when I first heard their music I went "no way, there's gotta be more people on stage with them if they wanna perform those songs live." I was wrong this album corrected me. And let's be honest Rush's music sounds so much better live.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: Your top five prog rock albums
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:04:16 PM »
1) ELP which was going to be HELP before Hendrix died, release of "Pictures at an Exhibition" which was basically a rewrite of Mussorgsky's classics interwoven with rock and jazz which highlighted Emerson's classical training.

2) YES album which I cannot review as time says it all.

3) John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The original Orchestra included Jan Hammer (later to score TV's "Miami Vice") on keyboards, Jerry Goodman on violin, Rick Laird on bass, and Billy Cobham on drums. Not to mention John's work with Carlos Santana about this same time.

4) Anything Traffic has ever done but my favorite was and is "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" but a small reserve for 40,000 Headmen as a fav song of theirs.

5) The Flock = Dinosaur Swamps almost out of the park at that time.

Blazer's post named a few fav's but to keep mention of some of the others I thought I would try not to mention his incredible choices. This era was too full of prolific artists to make a limit of 5.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 08:26:50 PM by old puppy »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

HornetAMX

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:14:54 PM »
1) Kansas - Song For America (I love Dave Hope's tone on the title track)
2) Styx - Equinox (The late John Curulewski's Mother Dear is one of my favorites.)
3) Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (I was blown away the first time I heard it)
4) Rush - Caress Of Steel (My first exposure to them back in '75)
5) Pink Floyd - Meddle (A classic!)

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:41:16 PM »

Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans (but I think "Going For The One" is still my favorite.)

King Crimson: In The Court Of The Crimson King.  "21st Century Schizoid Man" = coolest Prog song ever.

Rush: 2112.  Their best work imo

Pink Floyd: Animals.  Orwell meets Floyd = Classic.

Return to Forever: Romantic Warrior.  OK, Fusion maybe, but.... this is where Prog could have went too...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 08:48:02 PM »
King Crimson - Larks Tongue in Aspic
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Yes - The Yes Album  (if for nothing else but "Starship Troopers", although I also have a big fondness for Going For the One)
Kansas - Kansas
King Crimson - The Power To Believe  (30 years into their career, they put this monster of an album out.  Even Rolling Stone declared that the dinosaur was not dead yet)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 01:21:35 AM »
I really dug DreamTheater's Images & Words album & the title track of DT's Change of Seasons is a MASTERPIECE, but when Portnoy got Liquid Tension Experiment together & made those 2 great instrumental albums 10 years ago, that was IT for me.
See my thread about them---I'll be seein' 'em this Friday!
LTE2 is my fav cd & Kindred Spirits from their first cd is my fav track.

Symphony X is amazing!!!!! Stellar musicianship. The Odyssey is a great album

I also love YES & ELP!! Hendrix with ELP = HELP would have been INCREDIBLE!!!!
I agree with Tales From Topographic Oceans & I have a Box Set of ELP--Can I pick that? hahaa

Bozzio Levin Stevens ~ 2 great albums too!! Situation Dangerous is my fav of the 2 but BlackLight Syndrome is excellent too!!

nofi

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 04:04:12 AM »
quatermass- s/t lp
king crimson- islands
manfred mann's earth band- solar fire
frank zappa- pick one
mahavishnu orchestra- birds of fire

plus several already listed

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 04:51:10 AM »
This guy is somethin' else!

http://www.imeem.com/greghowe

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 05:21:45 AM »
King Crimson- Larks Tongues In aspec

King Crimson - Red- (a bass master piece)

Pink Floyd -  Echoes-

Billy Cobham Spectrum - Fusion but proggy

Quit Sun - Phil Manzanera long forgotten project

Happy The Man - self titled

Jeff Beck - Wired & Blow By Blow