Author Topic: Ze notoriously unreliable landing gear of ze Me 109 ...  (Read 1327 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Ze notoriously unreliable landing gear of ze Me 109 ...
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:02:42 AM »
More than half a century after the war and our pilots still can't land them!  ;D

http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-30912.html

Nice shot of the Me 262 too, I didn't even know we meanwhile had a flyable one in Europe. This happened at an intl. air fair in Berlin only now. Pilot of the Me 109 wasn't hurt, the wheel retracted after he had already landed.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Ze notoriously unreliable landing gear of ze Me 109 ...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:18:19 AM »
Another Daimler-Chrysler failing or did they only build tanks?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:40:23 AM »

Blame Willy Mescherschmitt,  The wings on 109's were so lightly constructed they couldn't support the landing gear or alot of armament. It was, instead attached to the main airframe thus the narrow stance and difficult to land plane. I'm reading a book called "Fighter Boys" right now its about the R.A.F. up to and including The Battle of Britain, the book states that 5% on ALL Me109's ever made were lost in landing accidents like this one. Hate to see it, it was a beautiful restoration......Hope they put her back together.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »
Another Daimler-Chrysler failing or did they only build tanks?

Well, up to the eighties/nineties they held a stake in Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm which became a part of EADS (the Airbus manufacturer)! At EADS they still have conference rooms called "Messerschmitt" with lavish Me 109 and Me 262 paintings. Only the tailfins are captured a bit blurry and don't really give away historic tail insignia ...  ;)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...