Author Topic: QUESTION - 60's Thunderbird Chrome Cover Issue  (Read 1887 times)

dc10bass

• View Profile
QUESTION - 60's Thunderbird Chrome Cover Issue
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:42:17 PM »
Group,

Has anyone here had Seymour Duncan build them the guts for a replica 60's two hole Thunderbird pickup?

Here is what I have…

I had four 70’s three hole chrome TBird covers cut down to 10.35mm high;
which is the height dimension I measured from a 60’s two hole TBird pickup I had.

The guy from the machine shop ended up taking them down a little more than I requested;
they vary from 9.50mm to 10.25mm in height.

What I’m trying to figure out is if Seymour Duncan will be able to use these covers…
I called MJ from the Custom Shop but when I asked her she gave me a bobbin and backing plate height that was around 16.5mm,
which is larger than the stock 60’s chrome cover all together. When I told her my dilemma she said to send them to her and they
could make the bobbins to properly fit the covers.

So if the Custom Shop makes bobbins to fit my covers, will they still sound like proper 60’s style TBird replica pickups,
or will the shorter cover make that much of a difference.

I know that people have bought replica covers here from “OVERDRIVEN66” and had Seymour Duncan make the guts,
but I believe those covers are around ½” in height.

Anyone’s support would be greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS!!!

DC10BASS
www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

Bass VI

• View Profile
Re: QUESTION - 60's Thunderbird Chrome Cover Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »
DC,
Mine should leave the Custom Shop Wednesday (2nd) I hope, they've had them since October. I also used a pair of 70's covers but I didn't have them cut down as they are going in my Orville and are about the same depth. MJ told me the "toughest" part was making sure the third screw cleared the winding. I'll let you know when they arrive. The set of Tonys' ( Overdriven66 ) covers that I have are just less than 1/2", say 7/16". If they can build the pickup to the same specs ( windings, etc. ) I don't think the depth of the cover or height of the bobbin will make a huge difference. I'll post some pics when they arrive.

S.
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

dc10bass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 03:37:18 AM »
Thanks...

I actually had the three holes filled in, then added the two 60's side holes and had it re-chromed... so it looks like a 60's pickup.
...the 70's holes are not the issue for me.

Let me know how you like your pickups!!!

THANKS!
www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 05:34:53 AM »
DC,
Mine should leave the Custom Shop Wednesday (2nd) I hope, they've had them since October. I also used a pair of 70's covers but I didn't have them cut down as they are going in my Orville and are about the same depth. MJ told me the "toughest" part was making sure the third screw cleared the winding. I'll let you know when they arrive. The set of Tonys' ( Overdriven66 ) covers that I have are just less than 1/2", say 7/16". If they can build the pickup to the same specs ( windings, etc. ) I don't think the depth of the cover or height of the bobbin will make a huge difference. I'll post some pics when they arrive.

S.

Me too Scott.  They've had 2 of my covers (2-hole 60's variety) like forever!!!  I agree with Scott.  If MJ says it'll be fine, I'd take her word for it.  She knows her stuff!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:06:50 AM »
    Curt, check your email. I measured an original 60's cover against one of my repros and they are only a few thousandths apart internally. When you cut your 70's covers down, keep your internal cover height between .408 and .420 and you'll be OK. Better to be too tall than too short. There has to be enough height for the bobbins and the baseplate and have it flush (or even a little recessed) with the bottom edge of the cover. BTW, all of the input I have gotten from people I have sold them to and sent them to MJ for the guts has been fantastic. Seymour usually winds them personally, so delivery time can be rather slow. It took me 3 months to get a set back one time, and got another set back in 4 weeks another time. But, the wait was worth it. My buddy Chris Bollman in NYC had to wait almost 5 months for his because of Seymour being busy getting ready for the NAMM show. They sound exactly like the original 60's pickups. And, they look soooooo purty!!!!  Tony
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
The single Overdriven cover in my 60 NR is absolutely the best sounding pup I own.  SD did a great job on it.  Can't wait to get the other two back!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!