Author Topic: If I Could Wave My Magic Wand... RIP Neil...  (Read 1917 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
Re: If I Could Wave My Magic Wand... RIP Neil...
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 01:23:52 AM »
Neil distanced himself from her quite early on
"she no longer resonates with me "

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 03:17:38 AM »
been reading lots of his obits,
This is a nice one,
 It resonates with me too as I quit touring after the birth of my daughter

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-peart-family-man/

For me Rush will always be the one that got away, I was in the running to do video on one of their tours, but sadly didn't get the gig
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:01:38 AM by wellREDman »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 04:26:29 AM »
Neil distanced himself from her quite early on
"she no longer resonates with me "

I know, with any mentally healthy person an obsession with Ms Rand's philosophy tends to be fleeting. 8) But the ole gal deserves a honorary mention on these pages now and then!

Peart was probably the only non-singing drummer ever responsible for (nearly) all the (and certainly all the famous) lyric output of a band with as enduring a career as Rush. And the Rush lyrics went way above what most bands und even most prog bands write. For a cerebral man like him, a brain tumor must have been an especially mean fate. Your greatest asset turning against you.  :-\
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 04:40:50 AM »
That's a wonderful obituary, thanks for sharing!

I'm glad I got so see Rush on the Snakes & Ladders Arrows Tour (after having seen them once before in the early 80ies around Permanent Waves - I preferred the later gig, it was more at ease).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:53:14 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 04:16:28 PM »
Snakes and Ladders (Uwe's edit: he means "Arrows", it's all my fault, I confuse people ...  :-[) was the last time I saw them... it was the 30th anniversary of their first Euro gigs... a treat for my wife and daughter...
Which tours...?
All The Worlds (77), Farewell 2 Kings (78), Hemispheres, twice, one being the one they recorded (79), Perm Waves, twice (80) ... all at Hammersmith Odeon...
Moving Pictures/Exit (81), Signals (83), Hold Your Fire, twice (88), Roll The Bones (92) ... all at Wembley Arena...
Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Presto, Counterparts, T4E and Vapor Trails did not tour the UK...
I missed R30, Time Machine and Clockwork Angels (no spare cash) and R40 never hit the UK...
About 13 or more times I saw them... still have all the ticket stubs, programmes and tees from all the tours, and there is the rather scuffy remains of a Hold Your Fire red baloon on display in the cupboard beside me...
Only regret is not buying the "Skull" tee on the Roll The Bones tour... never seen one since...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:52:53 AM by uwe »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 08:12:30 AM »
Snakes & Ladders is a game. Snakes & Arrows is a Rush album.  ;D (Uwe's Edit: I ALWAYS get that wrong!)

I saw:
"The semi-tour of some of the Hemispheres" (summer tour '79)
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures (Amphitheater)
Moving Pictures (Alpine Valley)
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Presto
Vapor Trails
R30
Clockwork Angels
R40

I am SO SO glad I caught the R40 tour. They gave Rush fans about everything we could have asked for and went out with a bang.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:50:52 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 12:45:34 PM »
I wasn't fully with it when I typed up that lot... oh well... :o ... Danke schon Herr Hornung...

Tom, I think between us we have some good memories of them... I don't think we've heard the last of Lee and Lifeson, but I think you stand a better chance of seeing them again than Europe does... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 03:53:52 AM »
I saw them twice.  The first time was in as the openers for KISS in '75.  I honestly didn't like them that night.  The second time was for the Caress of Steel tour, and just by chance, we were the opening band.  They were great that night, and nice guys to boot.  They sent over half the deli tray that was part of their contract for us to have.  They were funny guys...during sound check Geddy (wearing his glasses) was running around the stage, pretending to be Batman.  If you watch the Living in the Limelight DVD, they talk about filling in empty dates during this tour by going to "backwater towns like Battle Creek".  That may well have been the show we opened for them.
We mourn a lot when our musical heroes finally die.  Some will be harder than others, but they, and we, will all pass on.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 06:22:19 AM »
Are you the Zal Cleminson on bass? Nice legs of your guitarist!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 07:22:37 AM »

I saw them early on...

Caress of Steel     IIRC they opened for Kiss.
A Farewell to Kings
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 08:45:17 AM »
Gary, I saw your quote in the book! Very cool. I saw "opening band: Star Trooper" and was like, "is that Gary and Buddy's band?"  :mrgreen:

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 02:39:38 PM »
Gary, I saw your quote in the book! Very cool. I saw "opening band: Star Trooper" and was like, "is that Gary and Buddy's band?"  :mrgreen:

What book?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2020, 02:42:04 PM »
Guilty of all charges above.  Our singer found the original poster for the show, and we were listed as Skytrooper.  Remember that we had never played this club before.  We didn't even know we were opening for them when we pulled up the night before.   After our first night of a six night week, we were told to strike the stage.  When we asked why, the answer was, "We have a concert tomorrow night, and you guys are opening for some band called Rush"

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2020, 08:16:46 AM »
What book?

https://www.amazon.com/Rush-Wandering-Official-Touring-History/dp/168383450X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=ARYVGT77TNE1&keywords=wandering+the+face+of+the+earth&qid=1579273878&sprefix=wandering+the+face%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-1

I take a pic of the page when I get a chance.

"We have a concert tomorrow night, and you guys are opening for some band called Rush"

Had a similar experience with Primus in 1989. "Who are we playing with?" "Some band from San Francisco called Primus".  ;D This was at Avalon, formerly Tuts, formerly the Quiet Knight.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 08:25:44 AM »

Had a similar experience with Primus in 1989. "Who are we playing with?" "Some band from San Francisco called Primus".  ;D This was at Avalon, formerly Tuts, formerly the Quiet Knight.

my nearest was being supported by Travis at the Freebutt in Brighton, doesnt compare to Rush or Primus but at least we were above them on the bill :)