Author Topic: Mod bar for three point  (Read 906 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Mod bar for three point
« on: November 15, 2021, 05:05:06 PM »
Will this improve the old three point ? I’ll be changing strings soon on the SG and Jr basses . I’ll be putting Gibson Britewires on both so there’s no worry about silk going over the bridge posts .

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Mod bar for three point
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 09:20:12 PM »
Hard to say. It's not just the silks, b/c even unsilked strings are thickened at the end and can rest on the saddles. The mod bar should eliminate that. OTOH when I had my EB-0L with the two-point nylon saddle bridge, I didn't have any intonation problems with the silks resting in the saddles.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 07:47:47 AM »
As Dave said, if the portion of the string laying on the saddle is the same thickness as what crosses the nut, there should be no reason to get the mod bar.
If you did, you could always try to fit a tiny sticker of Bea Arthur's likeness on it and then you'd have a "Maude" bar. Debatable whether or not that's an improvement.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 09:20:45 AM »
I was wondering if anyone here has had the need for them . So far my experience with three point bridges has been fine , but I keep seeing these mod bars .
Somebody must be needing them .

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 09:27:26 AM »
I was wondering if anyone here has had the need for them . So far my experience with three point bridges has been fine , but I keep seeing these mod bars .
Somebody must be needing them .

I've mostly seen the need from people who use strings with very long silks at the ball end.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 07:39:27 PM »
As Dave said, if the portion of the string laying on the saddle is the same thickness as what crosses the nut, there should be no reason to get the mod bar.
If you did, you could always try to fit a tiny sticker of Bea Arthur's likeness on it and then you'd have a "Maude" bar. Debatable whether or not that's an improvement.

"God'll get you for that, Walter."
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 09:43:46 PM »
"God'll get you for that, Walter."

"Well that's just, like, your opinion, man...."
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 07:52:27 AM »
Restrung the SG & Jr with BriteWires , no problem whatsoever with the three point . No need for a mod bar .
Most of my basses have either flats or seriously ancient thumpy rounds . This is a departure for me , they sound really good . The only bass I generally keep fresh rounds on is an old Stingray . It’s got that classic zing .