Author Topic: Les Paul Jr. Tribute DC Reviews  (Read 6558 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Les Paul Jr. Tribute DC Reviews
« on: January 22, 2021, 04:53:48 PM »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: Les Paul Jr. Tribute DC Reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 07:41:02 AM »
It seems to have been a home run for Gibson. I agree! My Hobbit has been sadly neglected since I bought this bass. That being said, Gibson will probably discontinue it.......
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:56:36 AM »
Those reviews are enough to get me slightly interested. Sounds like my kind of bass.

I especially appreciate Gibson defining "worn finish" as subdued or faded colors, rather than "we took a cheese grater to the finish."  Bravo!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:06:06 AM »
Haven't they been doing that faded cherry finish on the SGs for decades? I remember it since at least back to the 80s.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 12:49:26 PM »
Haven't they been doing that faded cherry finish on the SGs for decades? I remember it since at least back to the 80s.

The faded cherry dates to the early 00s on the SG guitar, a few year later on the SG bass.

AFAIK any faded guitar or bass from the 80s didn't leave the factory that way.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »
The faded cherry dates to the early 00s on the SG guitar, a few year later on the SG bass.

AFAIK any faded guitar or bass from the 80s didn't leave the factory that way.
Oh, am I thinking maybe just a matte cherry stain?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
Oh, am I thinking maybe just a matte cherry stain?

I'm pretty sure any you saw like that would have been naturally faded over time. The cherry stains weren't as bright in the 80s but the finish was always gloss from the factory.
Example from the 1983 catalog: https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1983_22.php

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 01:05:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure any you saw like that would have been naturally faded over time. The cherry stains weren't as bright in the 80s but the finish was always gloss from the factory.
Example from the 1983 catalog: https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1983_22.php

Yeah, thanks.  I think that's what I'm thinking of.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 03:31:21 PM »
I read about them when they first got released and they hit a lot of buttons for me . I like short scales , and for a change they placed the pickup in the sweet spot . But I thought they were a bit overpriced for what seemed to be a new take on a classic student instrument . So about a year after the release there were some blowout sales in the US and I managed to get one sent to Canada .
My only regret was not buying one sooner . I love the little thing . I'm an old Pbass guy so I'm more inclined to change my right hand position than reach for a knob . I'm fine with the single pickup . Beautiful comfortable neck , I just love the little thing .
I've heard some complain about the non contoured body , I don't see the need for no girlie contours . Some complain about the three point bridge , it's fine . If you insist there are several drop in options , not an issue for me . Some complain about the cheap finish , I have early wear on the back , to me it's not a big deal , I love the way it looks . It's got a lovely weight , a surprising variety of sound , a comfortable neck . It sounds great and it really is fun to play .
I love the little thing .

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 10:02:39 PM »
It's a fun little bass for sure and way more versatile than one would expect.

Unfortunately, the QC on the one that I got was atrocious - fingerboard lifting on both sides between the nut and the first fret - so back it went and sadly ZZ Sounds didn't have one in the same colour as a replacement so...

I, for one, would be willing to pay more for the same instrument in "standard" finish. Not holding my breath, though...
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 12:14:22 AM »
I love mine. Gorgeous finish, nice neck, and fun to play and sounds great. The tap switch makes it more versatile than most single pickup passive instruments. Both positions are useful.

Is gibson still making them? They're listed on the website but always "sold out".
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 05:36:26 PM »
I finally succumbed und ordered one. Worn cherry too. I like that fin, I know it's just cost-saving on the side of Gibson, but I like to see some wood.

Ordering this bass is madness, I should be culling the herd, not adding to it.  :-\
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 08:22:44 PM »
I'd love to hear your thoughts on it once it arrives .

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 05:34:31 AM »
I finally succumbed und ordered one. Worn cherry too. I like that fin, I know it's just cost-saving on the side of Gibson, but I like to see some wood.

Ordering this bass is madness, I should be culling the herd, not adding to it.  :-\

If you get rid of all the non Gibson/Epiphones you'll have plenty of space  :popcorn:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 06:00:32 AM »
Nope, the ratio is unfortunate about 2:1 if not 3:1. I haven't bought a non-Gibson bass in ages.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...