Author Topic: Dumb question  (Read 2940 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb question
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 08:07:12 AM »
Flat would give the impression of razor thin top... shiny black would catch the eye... both would work, imho...

Any other views...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 10:50:53 AM »
Flat would give the impression of razor thin top... shiny black would catch the eye... both would work, imho...

Any other views...?

I agree,  flat would be better at toning down the inside edges.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 11:57:33 AM »
... At least mine is not just another clone of easily obtainable basses.  I think something unique is important in a crowded market.  It just can't be too weird!

That's very important. There's plenty of demand for low and high end Fender or Gibson clones but the market is overcrowded at both ends. Your designs set you apart yet they're familiar enough in inspiration to appeal to someone wanting a  traditional look. Not everyone will want one, but with a modest intro price I think you can build up a following.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »
+1
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »
Lull has been around a long time, so has Sadowsky, Fodera, etc.  They have long track records with many satisfied customers.  They also have bricks and mortar operations and employees, with all the headaches and overhead that entails.  They're entitled to make the money they do.  Their products also have established resale value.

IMO paying for your materials plus a very small amount is about all you can expect initially.  I'm doing OK now but I have almost zero overhead and only farm out the metal work/pickups that ThunderBucker is willing to do.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 06:39:09 AM »
That's very important. There's plenty of demand for low and high end Fender or Gibson clones but the market is overcrowded at both ends. Your designs set you apart yet they're familiar enough in inspiration to appeal to someone wanting a  traditional look. Not everyone will want one, but with a modest intro price I think you can build up a following.

I agree Dave.  I'm building because I enjoy it and want to make a few bucks to support my efforts.  Im not interested in expansion, bricks-n-mortar or accumulating overhead. I've played a Lull and wasn't impressed that the price was justified, but that's one man's opinion.  I've seen many of the boutique basses out there and they are often over styled, unappealing designs made from very expensive materials and offered at confiscatory prices.  It defies my logic but someone does buy them, so I say good for the builder!  I'm 100% in favor of whatever a free market can support.

We'll see how it goes for me.  I have no delusions or lofty expectations.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!