Author Topic: sheared truss rod, fretless?  (Read 1728 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
sheared truss rod, fretless?
« on: May 31, 2015, 01:20:24 PM »
Ive had a squire P-bass donated that has a sheared truss rod. Ive looked into how to fix it and it seems way too hardcore for what it's worth,

The action as fixed is not crazy high, just a bit too high to be comfortable, I  am wondering is whether i can get some use out of it by making it fretless? it seems to me that if there were no frets to buzz I could get the action way lower at the bridge end to compensate for the TR not moving. I realise it wont be an amazing fretless but it might be ok to give my students something different  to make a racket with.

Thoughts?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: sheared truss rod, fretless?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 02:06:06 PM »
Depends how the neck is now.
Is it straight or does it have a bow?

If it's fairly straight you could try to put a shim in the neck pocket. Maybe that helps to get a better action.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »
It will "buzz" on the neck if there is an adverse bow to it so fret removal, filling and/or coating the neck will not resolve this, unfortunately...

Could a hole be drilled into the bridge end of the neck large enough to withdraw the broken rod and replace it that way...? Can't think of a reason why not...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »
It will "buzz" on the neck if there is an adverse bow to it so fret removal, filling and/or coating the neck will not resolve this, unfortunately...

Could a hole be drilled into the bridge end of the neck large enough to withdraw the broken rod and replace it that way...? Can't think of a reason why not...

Ken, I agree that making it fretless will not solve the problem if there's backbow. However, if it's a conventional truss rod, getting the rod out is not as easy as you think. It can be done, even on a one-piece maple neck anchored at the headstock end, but it's involved.

I would go with Rob's suggestion, and if that doesn't work, look for an inexpensive replacement neck.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 06:53:48 AM »
Removing the rod is a major chore that I'd only do on a very high quality/value neck worth saving.  Stew Mac makes a neat little kit for rethreading the rod from the top.  Is this adjustable from the top or the heel?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 02:10:43 PM »
Removing the rod is a major chore that I'd only do on a very high quality/value neck worth saving.  Stew Mac makes a neat little kit for rethreading the rod from the top.  Is this adjustable from the top or the heel?

The Stew-Mac kit costs $245, you could buy a new Squier P for that! May be worth it if you're in the repair business or trying to save an expensive neck.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 04:18:53 PM »
Done a bit of studying... buy a replacement neck... several on greedbay, some for less than £40

Or try playing with the neck - not much to loose...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 02:12:36 AM »
cheers for the advice guys

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 06:11:30 AM »
The Stew-Mac kit costs $245, you could buy a new Squier P for that! May be worth it if you're in the repair business or trying to save an expensive neck.

I agree Dave.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 07:21:01 AM »
Done a bit of studying... buy a replacement neck... several on greedbay, some for less than £40

Or try playing with the neck - not much to loose...

+1 on this.
Replace the neck and use the old one as a towel bar or something.